WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ab apache server performance results on TC vs DSL (not from an expert!)  (Read 3357 times)

Offline bigpcman

I was curious what the apache web server performance would be on TC vs. DSL so I loaded the two systems with xampp 1.6.8a and ran the ab benchmark test to see how they compare. I've included a combined screenshot picture below. I used the BusyBox.html command description web page as the default index web site page (I copied it over to the htdocs directory).  I installed the entire lampp directory in /opt (ram) in both tc and dsl.
The system I used is a dell 640 2Ghz mobile p4 cpu with 1GB of ram.

Some interesting results are:
requests per second dsl=537 / tc=56.77
Time per request dsl=930ms / tc=8807ms
Time per request accross all concurency dsl=1.862ms / tc=17.61

I'm not sure if this is what is expected or if I am interpreting the results correctly but it would seem there is a big performance difference between dsl and tc. I know linux 2.6 is bigger and more complex than linux 2.4 so it will be slower. Do these numbers look correct?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:00:28 PM by Rich »
big pc man

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: ab apache server performance results on TC vs DSL (not from an expert!)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Interesting results... Im not sure if you have mentioned this in another thread or not, but could you explain your networking situation?  wired? wireless? full support in 2.6 with solid drivers?.  I ask because I have seen some issues with my wireless using the b43 driver.
(side note: I do plan you do some testing with the b43 and ndiswrapper on TC when I get some time, and I will post my results)

Thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
Could you do the test on TC with the apache extension as well?

I don't think the numbers should be that much worse. It might be something in the xampp stack.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »
My networking environment is wired but I should point out I had to load the firewall/ IPv6 support extension to make the xampp startup error free. Also keep in mind ab was run locally.
big pc man

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
Well my previously posted ab results did not seem right so I re-ran ab on TC with a fresh boot and new xampp install. I ran ab a few times to make sure the results were consistent. This time the numbers look much better.

Some interesting results are:
requests per second dsl=537 / tc=442
Time per request dsl=930ms / tc=1130ms
Time per request accross all concurency dsl=1.862ms / tc=2.26

I think this is closer to what should be expected.

See ab results below in attachment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:01:05 PM by Rich »
big pc man