Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

Building Pidgin (2.6.3) [Was: Re: pidgin can not connect to yahoo ?]

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
Hey!  This is my first post here.  So . . .

Hello.  My name is Curt.  (Hello, Curt.)  Ah, it's AA all over again.

Anyway, back to business.

I used Tiny Core's Appbrowser to install Pidgin 2.5.5.  But it doesn't connect to Yahoo.  Apparently from what I read Yahoo has changed their servers.  The temporary fix was to change my page server settings in Pidgin, but that doesn't work.  Probably Yahoo finished changing all of their servers to the new format/protocol.  The real fix, the better fix, and maybe now the only fix, is to upgrade to a newer pidgin.

So who wants to hold my hand and walk me through the process?

I downloaded the source code for Pidgin 2.6.3, and I used Tiny Core's Appbrowser to install GCC 4.2.2.  I extracted Pidgin, but when I ./configure I get "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables" "See config.log for more details."  Config.log is pretty big, but this looked like it might be significant:
--- Code: ---gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:3549: $? = 1
configure:3572: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:3594: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
configure:3598: $? = 1
configure:3636: result:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
--- End code ---

So what should I do now?  Who wants to help the new guy who really doesn't yet know what he's doing?
Curt

^thehatsrule^:
My guess is that only some gcc was installed.  You should use the tc toolchain suite: see "compiletc"

(If this convo takes longer, it may be split)

And welcome.

Curt:
Thanks!  That helped.

I went to Appbrowser and installed compiletc.  That apparently installed a few other apps.  Oh, yeah, I clicked on Files in the Appbrowser and I see the list.  That looks like some important stuff, like binutils and some gcc stuff.  That looks important.

So I tried ./configure again, and it went a lot further this time.  Now it says "configure: error: The intltool scripts were not found.  Please install intltool."  If I am lucky, that is in the Appbrowser.  Let's have a look.  There it is.  Installed it.  Trying again . . .

Now it says "configure: error: GNU gettext tools not found; required for intltool."  So I go to Appbrowser again, find gettext, install it, and compile again.

Now it stops with "configure: error: perl not found."  Boy, does everyone do things this way?  Back to Appbrowser again.  Found perl.  Installed it.  ./configure . . .

"checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool"

Back to Appbrowser.  Found perl_xml_parser.tcz.  Installed it.  Now it says I need GLIB.  Or if I have it installed I might need pkg-config.  How long will this go on?  And will it end successfully?  Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion in part 2!

Curt:
There are quite a few packages in Appbrowser that have "glib" in them.  So I looked back at my terminal window to re-read it to see if it will offer some direction.  My error message said:
checking for GLIB... no
no
configure: error:

You must have Glib 2.4.0 or newer development headers installed to build.

If you have these installed already you may need to install pkg-config so I can find them.

I think the Appbrowser package I need is glib2-dev.tcz, but it says it is version 2.22.1, and I need version 2.4.0 or newer.  Several of the glib packages say version 2.9.

Dang Firefox keeps crashing.  What the heck is up with that?  I'll continue this in part 3.  Stay tuned!

Juanito:
Did you read the wiki section on creating extensions - specifically this bit:
--- Code: ---$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
--- End code ---

Once you've compiled on tc a few times, you'll get to recognise that when something asks for intltool, you might has well load perl_xml_parser and the whole lot - in fact what I've done locally is to add a dep file for intltool that loads perl5, gettext, expat2 and perl_xml_parser

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version