WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.6rc2  (Read 17618 times)

Offline Machete

Re: tinycore_v2.6rc2
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
Booting straight from the .iso, in VirtualBox, same configuration as with 2.5, and I still get the "ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables" message. System comes right up, though, and seems to be fully functional, unlike RC1, that took nearly 5 minutes just to get past the ACPI message.

Is there any additional information you would like about the configuration, dmesg, etc that would be of assistance? 2.6 is the first release (RC or otherwise) to produce an error on this box, I'd like to help fix that if I can.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:08:19 PM by Machete »

Offline robc

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
Not sure if this is from fltk or flwm, but whenever a new window opens with appbrowser my mouse cursor and window focus is moved to that new window. I've noticed this before in previous versions. This also happens with the control panel, but not wbar, so probably with fltk?

This is more of an annoyance then a bug, especially when loading extensions with many deps such as compiletc from appbrowser. Would it be possible for the new windows to not take the user's focus so the user can do other work while waiting?
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline robc

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 01:37:42 PM »
Here is a bug with appbrowser. Instead of saying an extension has already been downloaded it displays a wget error:
Error: wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable on sed.tcz

How to reproduce:
1. "Download Only" sed.tcz through appbrowser
2. Try to "Download Only" sed.tcz again
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
To me it sounds like you may have some bad RAM, that is often cited as a cause of system freezing.  If you have not already, it might pay to run memtest on that machine just to be safe.

The kernel image has been upx'd in this RC.

After 8 hours running Memtest-86 v3.5 (Pass: 10) no error found. It will run for longer time of course....
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »
CPU overheating is also a common reason for computer lockup.
This is especially a problem with laptops that have small fans that
may not be properly managed by the kernel.
Check your BIOS to see if you can control the fan, or do a overtemp shutdown.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »

What? Why all other OS's including TC 2.5 and 2.4, 2.3, .... are running fine for a week or more time continously on max CPU speed and below 55 C except MANDRIVA 2010 and TC 2.6rcx? Definitely it is not a heat problem, as freeze happens immediately where CPU and all the system is cold. If you run 2.5, 2.6, 2.5, 2.6, ... one after the other 2.5 runs while 2.6 freeze. Also, when MANDRIVA 2010 heated the system I recognized it by fingers touching the housing and not by the errors running it.
Béla

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

What? Why all other OS's including TC 2.5 and 2.4, 2.3, .... are running fine for a week or more time continously on max CPU speed and below 55 C except MANDRIVA 2010 and TC 2.6rcx? Definitely it is not a heat problem, as freeze happens immediately where CPU and all the system is cold. If you run 2.5, 2.6, 2.5, 2.6, ... one after the other 2.5 runs while 2.6 freeze. Also, when MANDRIVA 2010 heated the system I recognized it by fingers touching the housing and not by the errors running it.

Most freezes as you well know better than I occur due to code being corrupted as a result of self modification (stack overflows) or improper execution (memory leaks). I doubt you will find a memory hardware failure. More likely will be a driver that is acting up. Perhaps you could disable hardware peripherals in the bios as a test.
big pc man

Offline fisher

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
Tinycore 2.6rc2  Base norestore boot  code gives error  ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables".   USB doesn't seem to be recognized at any time under 2.6rc2.   Touch pad works after xsetup.  USB mouse never got working.  My laptop seems choppy and sluggish.  With my normal boot code the extensions don't load.  They should be the 4096 type.  I updated them last night.

Running tinycore2.5 presents no problem.  I have a MSI U100 with compiled wireless driver.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
Has anyone that is having issues tried using 2.5 with the 2.6 kernel?  That would help narrow down if it is the kernel image itself as we have tried the opposite.

Offline fisher

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »
Has anyone that is having issues tried using 2.5 with the 2.6 kernel?  That would help narrow down if it is the kernel image itself as we have tried the opposite.

I tested the 2.6rc2 bzImage with 2.5.  I still get  AE_NO_ACPI_ unable to load the System Description tables error.  Also a PNP bios dev node error while booting.

Extensions in tce seem to load.  I can.t get wireless to work.( rtl8187se  works with 2.5) 

USB mouse moves very erratically.   Touch pad works. 

cpufreq gives cpu unknown or wrong cpu.  Conky shows 0 degrees for cpu.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
Thanks.  If 2.5 and it's kernel pose no problem, then it seems like the kernel image.

If you haven't already, testing the 2.5 kernel on the 2.6 RC like bmarkus did would help nail down the culprit.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
Just curious, what boot loader and which version are being used for those experiencing issues with 2.6?
Does updating your boot loader help?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Machete

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 08:44:03 PM »
Just curious, what boot loader and which version are being used for those experiencing issues with 2.6?
Does updating your boot loader help?

I'm just booting straight off the plain .iso. No other bootloaders, no hard drive, and 512MB ram.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 12:40:29 AM »
To me it sounds like you may have some bad RAM, that is often cited as a cause of system freezing.  If you have not already, it might pay to run memtest on that machine just to be safe.

The kernel image has been upx'd in this RC.

After 8 hours running Memtest-86 v3.5 (Pass: 10) no error found. It will run for longer time of course....

After running it for 18 hours I stopped memtest. No errors found.
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 12:48:52 AM »
Has anyone that is having issues tried using 2.5 with the 2.6 kernel?  That would help narrow down if it is the kernel image itself as we have tried the opposite.

2.5 with 2.6 kernel is freezing too. So it is up to the new kernel.

Updated BIOS, no change.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:25:13 AM by bmarkus »
Béla