WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bug with gtk2  (Read 9825 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: bug with gtk2
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 05:26:37 AM »
I rebuilt rhythmox, installed to ram/system, installed the gnome icon stuff, shared mime info, compiled and installed hicolor icons, updated icon cache, and a few other things.  The icon issue is also mentioned here:

http://forums.droplinegnome.org/viewtopic.php?t=5619

and here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=26505

Though none of the fixes seemed to work.  For now, it seems rhythmbox specific, though t2 linux uses rhythmbox and gtk 2.18.3 with no special setup, but more dependencies.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »
yeah - I'd seen those - at least google gets the same results in different parts of the world  :)

if the issue only shows up on rhythmbox, let's drop it - it looks more like a rhythmbox problem.

Offline jls

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
I had problems with tucan and svg, infact I had 2 change the images to png, and so change also the python code
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
With an added dependency, svg icons in tucan and rhythmbox work fine with gtk 2.18.

I will post it shortly, libgsf, it seems pygtk specific, and can be added to relevant extensions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:43:59 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
I see libgsf is in the repo.  By build has the python and gnome stuff and dependencies are many.  I will see how the libgsf works for this in the repo.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
Actually, I am using rhythmbox and tucan complete with icons, with only existing extensions installed from the repo.  I did a "make install" on libgsf and a reboot erased it, but the icons still work.

So with a missing dependency, icons work.  I won't try to find which dep now as there are several extensions to post and little time, but at least the support is there.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »
Actually it is under Xfce that tucan and rhytmbox icons work.  Icons don't work when the same set of extensions is used with flwm or other WM that does not set gnome themes.  So use of gnome icons/themes is a workaround.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
Icons don't work when the same set of extensions is used with flwm or other WM that does not set gnome themes.  So use of gnome icons/themes is a workaround.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by that - could you expain the workaround further?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
After re-compiling libgsf, I see it makes a libgsf-gnome if you have all the deps loaded - using flwm, it still does not produce the missing rhythmbox icons. Odd that I get "play", "previous" and "next", but not "repeat", "shuffle" and "browse". See attached.

Note that this is with gtk2_prefs, gtk-engines, gnome-icon-themes, hicolor-icon-themes, icon-naming-tools and shared-mime-info loaded (and with the clearlooks theme installed).

I guess it should be possible to have an extension libgsf-gnome, which depends on libgsf as long as I use the same version of the libgsf package?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:51:03 PM by Juanito »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »
ha - got it - if I link hicolor -> gnome in /usr/local/share/icons then I get all of the icons in rhythmbox.

I don't know much about gtk2, but I guess there must be setting for this somewhere - .gtkrc maybe?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »
This is my /home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0 file:

gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome"

Changing "gnome" to "hicolor" may work, I did't try.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
For interests sake (or not...), here's what I found with rhythmbox

load gnome-icon-utils
.gtkrc-2.0 file: gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome"

no icons at all

.gtkrc-2.0 file: gtk-icon-theme-name="hicolor"

play, previous, next OK - no repeat, shuffle, browse

load shared-mime-info
.gtkrc-2.0 file: gtk-icon-theme-name="hicolor"
play, previous, next OK - no repeat, shuffle, browse

.gtkrc-2.0 file: gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome"
play, previous, next, repeat, shuffle, browse OK

Even with this, some of the small icons are missing - to get all icons, delete /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor and link hicolor -> gnome

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »
Since it appears that rhythmbox and a few other apps were caught by surprise with the latest gtk changes, hopefully they will have worked things out and be in sync with the latest gtk in their next release.  Before we change much in the icon-theme or other extensions, perhaps we should see what the next releases of the affected apps bring.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 02:44:27 PM »
I struggled a lot with missing icons when ported Xfce4 to TC. Simply I forgot it working on LXDE and of course the problem returned :) hicolor icons are not displayed.

Reason is missing index.theme in /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor

Xfce4base.tczl installs it if missing. It is just 22k and do not need to create dinamycally. I will add it to LXDE. However it is not the bussieness of the application, I think (similar to ~/gtkrc-2.0) just a hacking. I do not know, what would be the best solution to add it.

For testing, just extract it from Xfce4base.tczl and check your missing icons.

For details see http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:48:42 PM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 03:00:26 PM »
The hicolor theme seems to be part of the gnome-media extension.  Not sure if it should be there or it's own extension as it is a source unto itself.  Either way, that index file should be created and place in the extension that contains the hicolor icons, using the gtk-update-icon-cache command.

EDIT:  It seems only the relevant icons from gnome-media are in the hicolor directory.  Perhaps a hicolor icon extension will fix the issue.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:14:16 PM by Jason W »