WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bug with gtk2  (Read 9827 times)

Offline kangkang

bug with gtk2
« on: November 16, 2009, 07:43:16 AM »
I replaced gtk2.tczl with gtk2.tcel, then some icons in pidgin can't be displayed.
When I switch back to gtk2.tcel, pidgin works well again. Could someone fix it? Thanks.
And in gtk2.tcel, gtk.immodules is missing, though it's not an important problem.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: bug with gtk2
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:27 AM »
Which TC version are you using? .tce extensions are dropped and not supported by current 2.5 release.

Usually there are two reasons of missing icons, either gnome-icon-theme.tcz or shared-mime-info.tcz is not installed (or both).
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
Usually there are two reasons of missing icons, either gnome-icon-theme.tcz or shared-mime-info.tcz is not installed (or both).

I wonder if there isn't more too it than that - even with both of these extensions installed, rhythmbox is missing icons. Maybe some programs are hard coded to look in /usr/share/icons or something similar?

Offline kangkang

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »
Tiny core Linux 2.5.
Though tce support is dropped, the tce packages work well. :-)
The missing icons are not build in gtk2, they are all in pidgin.
Which TC version are you using? .tce extensions are dropped and not supported by current 2.5 release.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
I will rebuild gtk2 and check to see if any graphic support is missing.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:07:51 PM »
Actually, as I remember watching this gtk2 build carefully and doing several rebuilds, I started reading up on gtk 2.18 and have found that a change in gdk windows is causing error in some apps.  One workaround I saw was to use this command before launching apps:

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

This may or may not have anything to do with the icon situation but I will try it out tonight.

Offline perthie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
It looks like this variable solves the problem with ROX-filer where the focus on an object is not released.

Where is the best place to define it? In .profile?

[Edit] I put it in .profile and the ROX problem is solved.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:40:05 PM by perthie »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »
Adding this to .profile does seem like the easiest and least intrusive solution for those that want that variable applied to all apps. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
gtk2 seems to have been built without svg support.  Somehow that slipped by me.  I will rebuild and enable it, that is what is causing some rhythmbox icons not to appear.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
Seems there is no --enable/disable-svg in gtk2.  And svg icons were showing fine before the gtk2 update without librsvg. 

I will investigate further.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Using this check, gtk shows svg support:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders | grep svg

output:

"/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so"
"svg" 2 "gtk20" "Scalable Vector Graphics" "LGPL"
"image/svg+xml" "image/svg" "image/svg-xml" "image/vnd.adobe.svg+xml" "text/xml-svg" "image/svg+xml-compressed" ""
"svg" "svgz" "svg.gz" ""
" <svg" "*    " 100
" <!DOCTYPE svg" "*             " 100

I don't think a gtk rebuild will help, seems like some apps are a casualty of the changes in the latest gtk like the gdk window thing.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:38:42 AM »
I replaced gtk2.tczl with gtk2.tcel, then some icons in pidgin can't be displayed.
When I switch back to gtk2.tcel, pidgin works well again.

Since (apparently) the tcel package works, maybe this is something to do with an index or similar that needs to be rebuilt and cannot be as it is read-only in the tczl version of the extension?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 01:40:43 AM »
When I switch back to gtk2.tcel, pidgin works well again.

Since (apparently) the tcel package works, maybe this is something to do with an index or similar that needs to be rebuilt and cannot be as it is read-only in the tczl version of the extension?

What happens when the tczl is no mounted but loaded into RAM, is there a difference?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:28:21 AM »
I think kangkang was talking about gtk-2.14.7 when he was talking about the tcel, and upgrading to the tcz was going to 2.18.3.  But of course correct me if I am wrong.

I will try the copy to system method and see if read only status is affecting anything, as well as see what other current distros are having to do to use gtk 2.18.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 04:51:54 AM »
after loading all the gtk2 stuff to ram and re-building the icon-cache for both hicolor and gnome and loading shared-mime-info and, and, and...

rhythmbox is still missing half the icons, but maybe that's a rythmbox problem...