WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Networking: de4x5 module?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline MikeKu

Networking: de4x5 module?
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »
Using TinyCore 1.0, lsmod -v returns:

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev 20)
        Subsystem: Unknown device 0a00:2114
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 96, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
        Memory at febff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at febe0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Kernel driver in use: de4x5
        Kernel modules: tulip

As far as I can tell, no networking modules get loaded at bootup.  After I modprobe tulip, lsmod shows:

Module                        Size  Used by
tulip                        43900  0
ohci_hcd                     19076  0
scsi_wait_scan                2176  0
parport_pc                   28440  0
parport                      29012  1 parport_pc

As a Linux noob, I go look in /lib/modules/2.6.26-tinycore/kernel/drivers/net but I don't see anything related to de4x5 so I'm thinking it hasn't made it into TCB yet.  Am I right?  If so, I'd like to humbly request that this module be added, please. 

(Alas, I'm sure my Linux fu isn't sufficient otherwise I'd try to attack this myself.  I'm learning, so maybe some day...)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Networking: de4x5 module?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »
It is built into the kernel instead of being a module. Lspci would not claim it to be in use if it wasn't :)

A sidenote, are you having network troubles or just wondered about the module?

Our kernel .config is viewable at any mirror, see releases/src
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:48:17 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline MikeKu

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »
Oh, I see.  Some network drivers get built into the kernel, some are loaded as modules.  OK, I'm learning!  :)

Yes, I'm having network issues.

When I boot TinyCoreLinux 1.0 using no options, the DHCP query hangs and the machine becomes frozen.

When I boot TinyCoreLinux 1.0 using the nodhcp option, lsmod reports:

Module                        Size  Used by
ohci_hcd                     19076  0
scsi_wait_scan                2176  0
parport_pc                   28440  0
parport                      29012  1 parport_pc

At this point, if I modprobe tulip, then say ifconfig eth0 up... the machine hangs.  I suspect that I'm on the wrong track here.

DHCP is supported on my network and is working well; a couple of other Linux distros (DSL 4.4.10, Puppy 2.15) I use on the same machine have no trouble detecting the ethernet adapter and they can get an IP Address via DHCP and everything is good.

Both DSL and Puppy load the tulip module automatically on the machine I'm using, no problems.

So, after some head scratching and re-reading of your response, I did a little more digging...

Using DSL 4.4.10 on the same machine, lsmod -v returns:

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev 20)
        Subsystem: Unknown device 0a00:2114
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 96, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
        Memory at febff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at febe0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Kernel modules: tulip

I notice that the de4x5 driver is NOT being reported as being in use by DSL.  So now I'm wondering if maybe TinyCoreLinux is loading the de4x5 driver when it really shouldn't... and so maybe I need to blacklist that driver.  I will pursue this approach and report my progress, if any.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
i don't know exactly what you're trying to do, i think ifconfig is used to connect to the network in tomsrtbt. it may be possible (again, i don't know) to use it to connect in tc.

however, after you've modprobed, you should be able to use udhcpc -b -i eth0 -h box to connect, or run the cpanel gui and enable dhcp. if that doesn't connect you, do mention it.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »
Since the driver is compiled in, it's unfortunately not possible to blacklist or otherwise skip it. It will be separated in the next update.

Perhaps you could try forcing a specific mode on the driver? They must be given at boot time, for example add this to your boot arguments to force ethernet 10Mbps:
de4x5.args='eth0:autosense=TP 10Mb'
Other options to try are fdx (full duplex) and 100Mb. If even forcing a specific mode hangs, the solutions left are kernel rebuild or another network card.

Offline MikeKu

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:40:38 AM »
i don't know exactly what you're trying to do

I'm trying to run TinyCoreLinux using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (host OS is WinXP).  I find this a very useful tool when investigating different Linux distros.  DSL, Puppy, Slax, Fedora, Debian and others all work well (especially in text-only mode) with Virtual PC 2007.

My overall goal is to find a small, text-only Linux distro for use on a network appliance I'm developing.  I currently use Puppy Linux v2.13, which works reasonably well for me, though the disk image is a bit big (a little over 200 MB).  I think TinyCoreLinux might be better - and smaller.

Quote from: tobiaus
however, after you've modprobed, you should be able to use udhcpc -b -i eth0 -h box to connect, or run the cpanel gui and enable dhcp. if that doesn't connect you, do mention it.

Alas, I got the same result:  as soon as I issue the udhcpc command, the machine freezes up and the only way to recover is to press the (virtual) reset button.

I strongly suspect that the use of Virtual PC 2007 is NOT endorsed by the TinyCore project / development team, so I suppose I'll have to continue my investigation another way.  Maybe I need to try VMware.  I certainly appreciate the effort   the community has expended to help me.

Offline MikeKu

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:45:45 AM »
Since the driver is compiled in, it's unfortunately not possible to blacklist or otherwise skip it. It will be separated in the next update.

That sounds wonderful, thank you very much.

Quote from: curaga
Perhaps you could try forcing a specific mode on the driver? They must be given at boot time, for example add this to your boot arguments to force ethernet 10Mbps:
de4x5.args='eth0:autosense=TP 10Mb'
Other options to try are fdx (full duplex) and 100Mb. If even forcing a specific mode hangs, the solutions left are kernel rebuild or another network card.

Unfortunately, despite trying several different options & combinations as you suggested, I have been unable to solve the 'frozen dhcp' issue so far.

Thanks very much for the help.  I'll update this thread when the next update is released, hopefully with positive results.  :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:03:39 AM »
Sorry, I meant the next kernel update, which is long away :p

Not going to wonder why the heck does VPC2007 emulate a buggy ISA network card (that's right, the pci versions just had bridge chips), I can recommend Qemu. TC has been tested to completely work in it. It's freely available at bellard.org/qemu/

Offline MikeKu

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion - I got qemu working without too much trouble.   :)

Peace.

Mike