Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

64 bit

(1/3) > >>

althalus:
I want to be able to take advantage of the fact that my machines have 4 gig - this obviously means a 64bit kernel. Unfortunately, rolling my own kernel is not something I've ever done before. I've searched around but either I'm blind, or there's no instructions / guidelines on how to roll your own 64 bit kernel for TC. Anyone care to enlighten me?

thane:
I know absolutely nothing about the technical issues, but if you search the forum with '64 bit' it looks like the idea's been kicked around a little.

Juanito:
I thought 32-bit machines could handle up to 4gb ram - maybe you have >4gb?

Wouldn't you need 64-bit applications in addition to a 64-bit kernel to take advantage of >4gb ram?

I've compiled a multi-lib build - 64-bit kernel and 32/64-bit apps - on a ps3, the difficult part was to prevent the compiler from makeing 64-bit apps, so I have a feeling that if you compile the tinycore source on a 64-bit machine, it would automatically compile a 64-bit kernel.

You can look at http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64-64/ for pointers

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: Juanito on November 11, 2009, 01:03:13 AM ---
I've compiled a multi-lib build - 64-bit kernel and 32/64-bit apps - on a ps3, the difficult part was to prevent the compiler from makeing 64-bit apps, so I have a feeling that if you compile the tinycore source on a 64-bit machine, it would automatically compile a 64-bit kernel.

--- End quote ---

I guess it was not TC :) But what is about a PS3 port of TC/MC? At least I have a PS3 at home...

Juanito:
In fact I'm halfway through a very unofficial version of this, but stopped, due in part to the fact that the new slim ps3 no longer supports linux.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version