WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Terrorism  (Read 7850 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Terrorism
« on: November 08, 2009, 05:45:42 AM »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Terrorism
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:56:36 AM »
Great, I like it  ;D

BTW, I have seen articles about high ranked US army officers and politicians saying that there are US weapon systems based on LINUX used by the army/navy/airforce/... which is terribly risky as the Kernel is developed by Russians, Chinese and who the hell knows all these foreigners :)

And BTW they continued, that they need more money to develop something different...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:58:15 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline trishtren18

• Can't get enough of linux!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »
we do have linux based systems.  im not going to say what runs them or or what they do but i can confirm that yes we have linux ran systems in the military.
unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep  - my daily unix command list

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:58:38 AM »
Is that actually a real MS advertisement?  If so, that is the most ridiculous logic they have tried to sell people on yet.  That is like saying that if 90% of bank robbers use Windows then if you support Windows you are supporting bank robbery. 

Bank robbers or terrorists can obtain any OS they want, and things such as cryptography is available in Windows as well as proprietary Unix.  Pirated copies of those are easy enough to come by.  Linux is not enabling them by offering anything that is not readily available elsewhere.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:05:15 AM »
Is that actually a real MS advertisement? 

I don't think so :)
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:11:58 AM »
Though we have to admit it is not that far of a stretch given MS's often desperate marketing tactics.   :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 05:17:07 AM »
Though we have to admit it is not that far of a stretch given MS's often desperate marketing tactics.   :)

Ok, at least I can't imagine it official. However 'guerilla-marketing' is a used method by many big companies. You can never know :)
Béla

Offline tclfan

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
Looks to me the advertisement is just a joke, far from Microsoft... Besides, it is the opposite that must be true...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:13 AM »
Looks to me the advertisement is just a joke, far from Microsoft... Besides, it is the opposite that must be true...

Take a look at this article:

Compared to our sample of servers across the Internet, Microsoft IIS features twice as often (49% vs. 23%) as a malware distributing server. Amongst Microsoft IIS servers, the share of IIS 6.0 and IIS 5.0 remained the same at 80% and 20% respectively.

Source: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2007/06/web-server-software-and-malware.html
Béla

Offline tclfan

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
Interesting article, although over 2 years old. The server distribution probably still stands. Apache being predominant, this alone could be grounds to say people use it most, although on the server side, therefore it is out of end-user control.
If the original advertisement meant to include distribution of malware, then IIS would be the best candidate for that, considering the proportion of malware distributed in comparison to Apache.
Having these statistics, the original advertisement would be shooting itself in the foot trying to say something opposite to plain evidence...