Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

Xorg, Alsa, OSS questions

(1/2) > >>

althalus:
Hi guys,

Recently just started playing with tinycore, and am finding it quite enjoyable. However, I have run into some questions, which don't seem to have answers around here yet.

I have two major questions, the first being with video, the other being with sound.

I have two laptops. On both laptops, the only way I can get the full 1280x800 resolution is to install the full Xorg package, instead of Xvesa.

This causes a couple of other problems that I have not found solutions for yet.

1) On both laptops, ctrl+alt+backspace no longer works. Apparently I need to set "DontZap" to false,

2) On one laptop, the best way to describe it is that the mouse cursor gets corrupted - In some instances the cursor turns into a few green dots, at other times the cursor becomes a square of whatever was below it, or a distotion of. The graphics card is (lspci):
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

3) My second question deals with the other laptop and sound. OSS can't find the graphics card at all, whilst alsa will only play sound through the microphone jack, not the speakers. The laptop is a Compaq CQ40, can't be more specific than that right now, don't have that laptop handy. Any pointers on where to start would be welcome.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: althalus on November 06, 2009, 04:19:51 AM ---
... alsa will only play sound through the microphone jack, not the speakers. ...

--- End quote ---

Through the microphone jack? Are you sure?

jls:
on one laptop where I triued tc I had to plug and unplug an earphone in order to ear the sound from the speakers

bmarkus:
What is about mixer settings?

curaga:
1) The defaults are decided by the upstream. Send your complaints to the Xorg mailing list ;) Many users disagree with this change, myself included. But it apparently saves lost work when accidentally pressing those keys.
2) An update to the driver may help, as might enabling the SWCursor option

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version