WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Mandriva Linux 2010 released  (Read 6975 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Mandriva Linux 2010 released
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:38:29 AM »
A long time ago Mandrake (version 7) was the distribution which helped me to start with LINUX. Even as a professional software developer working on embedded systems and other operating systems, I was stucked with LINUX on PC at home and gave it up. Mandrake was the first which was working out of box, offered a user friendly configuration interface and a way to learn and use linux. Later I found Mandrake 8 was the best system that time I have seen and I really enjoyed LINUX.

Unfortunately there were financial issues, personal changes, aquisition, etc. and systems released under the new Mandriva name were buggy, ugly systems while others improved significantly.

Finally this new version seems to a pretty system, worth to try. It comes with

* Kernel 2.6.31
    * Xserver 1.6.5
    * KDE 4.3.2
    * GNOME 2.28.1
    * Firefox 3.5.3
    * OpenOffice.org 3.1.1
    * VirtualBox 3.0.8

For more info read http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.0_Tour
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Mandriva Linux 2010 released
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:20:22 AM »
I tried the mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-KDE4-europe2-cdrom-i586 on my Acer Aspire 5720Z notebook. Visually it is attractive and UI seems to be nice including Command Center and everything was working out of box.

First disappointment was lack of Midnight Commander on the CD. I tried to installed but was not found in the repository.

In the mean time I recognized that everything is running very slowly. Few minutes later the keyboard become hot and there was a typical smell of hot plastic material. The CPU cooler was stopped and the BIOS reduced the performance of the CPU, but of course without cooler it was not possible. When stopped Mandriva, screen was full with warning messages about hot CPU. It has never happened in the last two years, trying different LINUX systems and running Vista for bussiness applications.

Now the notebook is back to normal operation, cool and fast under Vista.

It is definitely a MANDRIVA issue. Be careful!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:23:53 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline tclfan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »
I too used to play with Mandrake some time in the past and it was nice OS. Nowadays it seems everyone is in the race of bloat and inefficiency. I do not even touch these distros anymore.
Most Linux distros went over to the dark side.
1. If it does not fit on standard CD - bloated with garbage.
2. Using KDE or Gnome - using inefficient DEs
3. The last good Windows is XP. It fits on standard CD as OS should and can run in 64M memory. Vista - full of bloat and memory - 1GB.
Even Zenwalk is betraying 'Efficient Linux' users - the latest releases are going over to Gnome and KDE...
Last hope - Tiny Core Linux, Slitaz.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:35:35 AM »
OK, Mandriva One tried to kill my notebook.

I wanted to see Moblin and LXDE so I decided to install it on a desktop machine I'm using to test Tiny Core HD installation, running a test CentOS 5.4 and other OS's without any problem.

1) Mandrive One (Live CD) do not start X environment, stops half way in console.

2) Install DVD says "Fatal Error, reboot"

So it is the point where I gave up Mandriva. Most terrible LINUX distro I have seen in last two years!
Béla

Offline trishtren18

• Can't get enough of linux!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »
or you could try arch linux.  if you like tinycore/microcore i think you might like arch linux.
http://www.archlinux.org/
try it out.
unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep  - my daily unix command list

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
Thanks, will take a look. As a final try, I got installed MANDRIVA with the minimal install CD and have LXDE working. However if you try to install Xfce, Gnome, KDE, ... from the inline repo, it is not possible as there are always some file missing. So I already formatted the HD :(
Béla

Offline trishtren18

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
i wish i could help you their but i have never used mandriva one.  i have the basic mandriva iso with non free software.  i will dl it and see what my results are soon and get back to you.  otherwise like i said try out arch.  integrates great with LXDE and with a base install+LXDE i was using only 87mb of ram.
unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep  - my daily unix command list

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 02:01:59 AM »
In the search for a LINUX distro as a reference for LXDE and Xfce4 installation, the winner is Zenwalk 6.2 Smooth installation, easy to use and working (!) package manager. Simply doing the job. I like it.

Second is Slackware 13.0 No installation issues, just working. However 'full install', adviced by the installer resulted a bit messy package collection full with everyting I do not need.

Archlinux package installation failed installing few dependencies online. Installer is stupid, if you go back as it is requested to selection, this ask you to go back to HD partitioning which is already done, ... After few trials I gave it up.

Mandrive 2010.0 all install media, downloaded from Mandriva, verified, etc. fails to install at different points, including missing online repo items, unusable. Un the other hand nice user interfaces, great collection of applications, ...

After all this experience TC is a really user friendly system :)

Hardware is about 3 years old AMD Sempron 2800+ with 1,5GByte RAM and and old 10GByte IDE HDD, old Nvidia video, LAN/Sound is integrated.

Béla

Offline trishtren18

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »
i never once had a issue with installing LXDE in arch.  the only problem i guess would be the lack of any applications but thats how its supposed to be.  i agree that the install for arch is just plain stupid or even difficult to some but as i said i got it up and running in 87mb.  i know slackware works well with it but that OS is just...difficult for many.  Never used Zenwalk.  will have to look into that.

Offline trishtren18

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
im not quit following your errors you were getting with arch.  if you still have them or remember them post them for me and i will see if i can answer your questions about them if would like

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:25:22 PM »
im not quit following your errors you were getting with arch.  if you still have them or remember them post them for me and i will see if i can answer your questions about them if would like

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not into Archlinux at the moment, as Zenwalk is up and running fine.
Béla

Offline tclfan

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 05:52:58 AM »
In the search for a LINUX distro as a reference for LXDE and Xfce4 installation, the winner is Zenwalk 6.2 Smooth installation, easy to use and working (!) package manager. Simply doing the job. I like it.
Yes. I have been using Zenwalk for several years now, after testing various other distros and found Zenwalk made most sense. No bloat and garbage. One instance of best applications in category. LiveCD is well done and very easy to customize, including application preferences.
Reliable and secure. I am using Zenwalk LiveCD to access anything secure, like Online Banking...
Looking for still lighter I discovered then SliTaz and after that - Tiny Core.
Tiny Core is my favourite now and as soon as I sort out security it will take over...

Offline trishtren18

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
never tried zenwalk but now that im hearing its praises from the mountains on high i am dl'ing it as we speak

Offline trishtren18

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »
downloaded Zenwalk.  installed it.  loving it.(as a side note its the same install as arch but graphical - if you call that graphical install)