WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Shockwave Flash licencing?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Shockwave Flash licencing?
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:42:40 AM »
One of the interesting points playing with Mandriva Live CD is, that it comes already with Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32 installed; Firefox displays flash content out of box. It is great, but I thought player can't be packed with a distribution in this form. On the other hand Mandrake/Mandriva was also strict following licencing rules in their free editions.

If it is legal, why can't we make a .tcz ?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Shockwave Flash licencing?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:10:46 AM »
I am quite sure it is not legal.  Here is the distributing rules even if they had applied for a license:

Code: [Select]
2.2 Distribution. Distributor may:

(a) Make one copy of an image of the Software on a Distributor computer file server for the purpose of
downloading and installing the Software onto computers within Distributor's Intranet, for internal use only;

(b) Distribute the Software on a standalone basis only on physical media (such as CD-ROMs, DVDs,
hard disk, etc.); and

(c) Distribute the Software as a part of or with Distributor Product or Distributor Service (i) through
electronic means such as electronic download-- including, without limitation, electronic software
download-- for example bundled in Distributor's installer, which in turn, is downloaded through the
Internet and (ii) on physical media (such as CD-ROMs, DVDs, hard disk, etc.).

In all cases the Software is to be distributed in complete form and only for purposes of complete
installation and use by the end user. The Software shall not be configured or distributed for use without
installation.

So even with a license, you can only distribute it to be installed and not ready for use.  That is, unless they made a special deal with Adobe.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:12:57 AM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:18:38 AM »
But I am going to download that live cd and see how they have it set up as I am curious.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:31:43 AM »
There is a "custom agreement" option in the licensing application process with flash, and I assume that is the path Mandriva took.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:39:02 AM »
There is a "custom agreement" option in the licensing application process with flash, and I assume that is the path Mandriva took.

Well, every time when you start the CD you have to accept the agreement. If you install it, only once. However I'm not sure it is compliant to the licencing text.
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:42:12 AM »
Ok, if you have to accept an agreement and it then installs they are distributing it according to the standard license that can be applied for.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:48:31 AM »
Ok, if you have to accept an agreement and it then installs they are distributing it according to the standard license that can be applied for.

I see. Thanks.
Béla