WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: starting/beginner Questions  (Read 6019 times)

Offline McEddie

starting/beginner Questions
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »
Hello,

I am interesting in a solution based on this compilation and do have some question for the experts, my goals are:

(if possible)
MicroCore with DosBox or DosEmu via TUI with Ethernet and USB access for DOS

I do not find any information about DosBox or DosEmu, that they will working under a plain TUI and maybe some of the expert can tell me more about it, how to use MicroCore with it.
The reason for this is, that I am using a DOS base solution but the limitation of DOS and 640KB gives me some strange trouble, if I am using complete Ethernet drivers and an USB to parallel driver under DOS.

My second question will be a mouse driver with a scroll option.
Does anyone have test this out or do have a solution for it, if it is possible to use such a kind of driver, that the DOS Emulator can use this advantage?

Does there exist an application under MicroCore, to be able to install the needed APPS or do I need to "manual" install them?

Is there an option to install the MicroCore onto a DOM, DOC or a CF card via IDE Port?

I am looking forward to get some needful help with this.

Kind Regards

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: starting/beginner Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:34:51 AM »
Dosbox can run on a framebuffer console (one of the vga options, see the FAQ on bootcodes). However in a console you might not get mouse at all, I'm not sure.

Mouse driver - do you mean for DOS?

Installing in MC can be done via command line just like in TC:
tce-load -w -i myapp.tcz

Or, if you prefer an easier way, appbrowser-cli:
tce-load -w -i appbrowser-cli.tcz
appbrowser-cli

Options for installing aren't limited at all. The flash memory via IDE is seen as a normal HD, and you can install to it via any procedure that works on HDs. One is outlined at http://tinycorelinux.com/install.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:36:25 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline McEddie

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
@curaga
wow, that was damned fast response (hehehe) thank you.

with the mouse driver, I was thinking on a mouse driver for linux with the option for the scroll and I do not know, if this will work transparent under a DOS emulator.
I know, that I can load a mouse driver (ctmouse or whatever) direct under the emulator, but I do not know any mousedriver for DOS with the advantage of the scrollwheel.

OK, I will try the install on a CF to IDE card. Hope I could manage this in the right way.

Do I understand you right (sorry, maybe for that silly question), under LINUX I need ONLY to use the command:
tce-load -w -i "myapp.tcz"?
Where can I get a list of what kind of APPS are available or what are the name for it.
I tried to get some APPS under MicroCore but got ERROR messages with the server or the name of the APP.
I would like to install MC (because it is not installed with the microcore basement) and the DosBox or DosEmu.

Kind Regards and have a nice weekend

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
Text list: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/tcz/info.lst
Html page: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tcz_2x.html

To grab dosbox and its dependencies, the only required command would be:
tce-load -w -i dosbox.tcz

The dependencies are automatically downloaded.

Offline McEddie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »
@curaga

great, thank you for the LIST, which is realy helpful.

I am missing DosEmu in the list, so do I need to compile it myself or does there exist a package with all of the needed files for it?
As I know, DosEmu is in overall much more faster and I would like to test, which will be best in combination with MicroCore and DOS under an old system, e.g. Geode 300MHz 64MB RAM

Ciao

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »
Yes, you would need to either compile dosemu or try the binaries they offer.