WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: microcore_2.5rc2  (Read 3993 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
microcore_2.5rc2
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
The Second Release Candidate of v2.5 (microcore_2.5rc2.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates/microcore/

microcore_2.5rc2.iso
microcore_2.5rc2.iso.md5.txt

Change log for v2.5rc2:

* Updated tce-setup with single end call to depmod and ldconfg, and startup scripts.
* Updated tce-load with flag to skip depmod, ldconfig, startup script execution while booting.
* Updated tce-update now supports query mode and user selectable deployment.

Notes:

The first two changes above allow for much improved boot times.

tce-update now allows one to "check for updates" by use of the query option.
It also support three levels of batch extension update deployment.

The safest is to perform updates by rebooting with "base norestore
text" (this is as it was).

The second way is to exit to system prompt and type sudo tce-update, then use the 'force' option. This allows use of extension required network which can be most helpful while still minimizing conflicts with currently running (in use) extensions.

The third way is to run it from within an X desktop by way of using the 'force' option. Warning, there is no test for currently running extensions and the possibility of system hangs or corruption. YMMV.

There is an updatd wbar.tcz for microcore users.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: microcore_2.5rc2
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »
New system download area for easier updates for current users. The individual distribution files are now available at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates/distribution_files/

Typically from release to release, it is the microcore.gz which you will need to replace on your current install. Now you have direct access.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »
thanks roberts for having added the version for easier update.
 :-*

Offline clach04

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
Love the new distribution option, much easier to install and test out. Saves breaking apart the iso on an already setup machine.

2.5rc2 shaves a sec or so off boot times on my machine with base norestore and about 4-6 secs when loading TCZs and backup. On my (slow) machine 2.5rc2 is almost as fast as 1.4.3 (not a criticism; I'm really happy with the 2.x series, more functionality in 2.x) at booting.

So far no problems, really stable RC ... but I don't think I stress TC too much  :)

Chris