WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: query regaring polish keyboard  (Read 5675 times)

Offline si_hussain1

query regaring polish keyboard
« on: October 23, 2009, 03:00:57 AM »
Hi,
  I need polish keyboard layout support. I installed kmap.tce and saw pl.kmap, pl1.map etc  but the keyboard layout dont match the actual keyboard layout.
  I need  polish and polish programmers keyboard layout support. Can anyone help  me on this?

Thanks in advance

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: query regaring polish keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:11:44 AM »
You can try Xorg over Xvesa. Take a look on the relevant WIKI article:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Using+Xorg+over+Xvesa

There is an example how to define keyboard layout.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline si_hussain1

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 03:23:46 AM »
Hi,
 I will definitely give it a try. but i didnt want to go into the complications of installing Xorg and removing Xvesa. But i guess , sooner or later i will have to do it . So , sooner the better. Thanks

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:28:42 AM »
Hi,
 I will definitely give it a try. but i didnt want to go into the complications of installing Xorg and removing Xvesa. But i guess , sooner or later i will have to do it . So , sooner the better. Thanks

You do not have to remove Xorg, just install Xorg-7.4.tczl and graphics-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tczm thats all. If works, add xorg.conf with your keyboard and add it to backup list. Takes 5 minutes only.
Béla

Offline si_hussain1

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:55:13 AM »
i installed Xorg. But .xsession has Xvesa in it. I am supposed to modify .xsession ?
I am not well versed with the parameters of Xorg .

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:59:07 AM »
i installed Xorg. But .xsession has Xvesa in it. I am supposed to modify .xsession ?
I am not well versed with the parameters of Xorg .

No need to modify .xsession, just follow Wiki instructions on TC 2.4.1 first booted with 'tinycore base nolocal norestore' options. Xorg must come up automatically. When it is OK, add xorg.conf, exit to prompt and restart Xorg with the 'startx' command.
Béla

Offline si_hussain1

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:21:09 AM »
Hi,
  I think i am missing something. I installed and restarted using startx. But it again startx Xvesa. I tried running Xorg manually., but it gives an error saying that no xorg.conf file found. I guess thats the reasong why Xvesa is running even after installing Xorg

Offline si_hussain1

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 04:58:12 AM »
Hi , i could make the Xorg work. Thanks. One more thing. Do we have to install kmap.tce in Xorg too to have different keyboard layout supports?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 05:15:41 AM »
Hi , i could make the Xorg work. Thanks. One more thing. Do we have to install kmap.tce in Xorg too to have different keyboard layout supports?

No need for kmap.tcz with Xorg.

BTW, did you try it with kmap.tce? .tce extensions are dropped in 2.4, use .tcz only.
Béla

Offline si_hussain1

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:24:29 AM »
Hi,
 I installed kmap and i can see lot of keyboard layouts. But i am not able to figure out which one is for which keyboard . I tried googling about that but couldnt find much help. Does someone have the list of keyboards that kmap supports or some documents which tells what abbreviation is for what language. Eg: Hungarian is Hu is guess . ..!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:33:52 AM »
Hi,
 I installed kmap and i can see lot of keyboard layouts. But i am not able to figure out which one is for which keyboard . I tried googling about that but couldnt find much help. Does someone have the list of keyboards that kmap supports or some documents which tells what abbreviation is for what language. Eg: Hungarian is Hu is guess . ..!

Right HU is for Hungarian
Béla

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »
I'm guessing they follow some standard like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2

Supported kmaps can be seen in the file list of the extension.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline si_hussain1

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
Hi,
   I have completly switched to Xorg now. And i see that Xorg is too huge while compared to Xvesa which is just couple of Mb's. I need to trim Xorg as much as possible. Perhaps remove all the drivers which are not required.
  Can anyone suggest whats the best way to trim the Xorg package in my installation?
  Also, changing resolution was quite simple in Xvesa, but xorg looks complex. Can someone give me a working xorg.conf which has atleast two resolution settings in it. For instance, 1024x768, 1280x1024.
   The main reason i need this, is to be able to change the resolution just like i could do in Xvesa by changing its arguements in .xsession file.

Thanks in advance.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:12:14 AM »
The 3d drivers take the most space (/usr/local/lib/X11/modules/dri), so leaving only the one you use should drop the size a lot. The next thing would be 2d drivers, in the directory drivers.

With Xorg you don't need a restart or a conf file change for a resolution change. Use xrandr:

xrandr # This lists out your outputs, and the resolutions and refresh rates supported
xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x800 # Puts output VGA-0 in 1280x800 at best refresh rate

Although, if you want, you can use a xorg.conf as well. See the info file on how to generate one for your setup.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 04:18:21 AM »
Also you can use lxrandr.tcz which is a desktop independent GUI.
Béla