WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: package d'l locks up on quad core machine, fine on slower pc  (Read 5590 times)

Offline chalkartist

package d'l locks up on quad core machine, fine on slower pc
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
Here is my problem: I was running tcl from cdrom... noticed that I could not d'l very well from my newer (supposedly faster) pc (quad core, amd athlon II, 4g ram).  The older pc works better (intel celeron, 1g ram)...  I tried disconnecting the hard drive from the older pc (newer pc doesn't have hdd) thinking that the cd was using swap space on the older computer and that is why it was performing better.  No difference.  Finally, I installed to usb (thinking that the extra space in the flash drive could act as swap????) but same result...the older pc works fine, I can d'l etc. the newer pc locks up on d'l of firefox for instance... right now, neither pc has a connected hard drive (no hdd for athlon, disconnected pc with celeron....)... so there shouldn't be an issue with swap, but I still have the same prob.. i am thinking that my box with 4g ram should have no prob on a distro this small. It runs very fast, it is just a problem with the download...Thinking that the server is slow etc. I have shutdown one pc and immediately booted the other with tcl and I still get a difference in d'l performance (or lack thereof....). Unless i d'l a very small package, the apps browser locks up after 2 or 3 of the small screens.... usually at about 98 or 99 percent of whatever lib, etc. is being downloaded at the moment... any help?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: package d'l locks up on quad core machine, fine on slower pc
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
Which version of TC?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
If connecting to the repository and dowloading in AppBrowser is slow or has long pauses, and you have a router/switch/wifi access point between your PC and the Internet, the problem could be the DNS entry in your /etc/resolv.conf file.  If that file shows the intermediate device as your DNS, for example 192.168.1.1, it is possible that the device is not forwarding the DNS lookup requests to a real name server, or at least not in a timely manner.  However, if you _can_ connect to the repository immediately, this is probably not your issue.  

I had a similar-sounding problem.  I ended up making a new version of the /etc/resolv.conf file with a real DNS IP address in it.  Then I have a startup script copy this version of the file onto /etc/resolv.conf, replacing the content automatically filled in by the normal startup stuff.  There is more detail about this in the following thread: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=753.0  The delays you see could be caused by subtle timing issues in the C library when called for DNS lookup, which could be made worse in a fast machine.
--
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:02:11 AM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline chalkartist

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »
bmarkus: I am running 2.1.... got it in a linux magazine on a dvd, copied and burned it to a seperate cd.  I also did install to a usb drive but I have this problem whether I use the cd image or the usb install.

Mike Lockmore:  I have this problem only on one pc.  They live side by side and I have to switch the ethernet cable between the two of them.  I have a kvm cable for the other peripherals.... so I basically have laboratory conditions with the only variable being which pc I am using... as stated above, I use the same cd or usb drive.

everyone: I really like the add-what-you-want concept of this distro and I was looking forward to using it on my new quad core machine (built from a bare-bones kit).  I am at work now and when no one is looking I am going to see what happens when I use it on our quad core machine here....  thanks for your help

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
I had the same problem with 2.1 which was fixed in a later release. Kind advice is to download 2.4.1 and do not waste time with 2.1 It is only 15Mbyte.
Béla

Offline chalkartist

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
ok, just tried to use this on our quad core machine at work, same result.... will probably follow ur advice bmarkus.... still, would like to know why (although I may not understand the explanation....)

also 2.4.1 is 15M vs. 10M for 2.1?    still, smaller than Slitaz, the next smaller version that I am aware of...
thanks for advice and if anyone else has info I will check back

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
15M? 

11118592 Oct 10 10:37 tinycore_2.4.1.iso

11118592 / 1024 /1024 = 10.6M
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
15M? 

11118592 Oct 10 10:37 tinycore_2.4.1.iso

11118592 / 1024 /1024 = 10.6M

My typo, you are right. But in this case the key is not the size but the version.
Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
Yes, it appeared that getting away from aterm hosted wgets and call flwget directly seems to solve many timing issues with many successive downloads.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »
Hmm... interesting that TC is getting exposure via discs in magazines.  But very hard to get a distro to a newsstand while still current.  Particularly hard with TC!  :)
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline chalkartist

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
roberts/bmarkus: yeah, I saw the 11M listed on the d'l page when I went to get the latest version.... feel better now knowing that it didn't grow.... will report back on the expected success.

Lee: the magazine was Linux Format, Sept 2009 edition, p. 68.  They recommended booting it in a PC emulator instead of wasting most of a cd but I was unable to do this due to technical reasons. (I don't know how.... ).  I've noticed that the magazines and books are understandably a little behind when they include cds.  I bought a copy of the DSL book and it had a slightly older version of DamnSmallLinux... I think 'roberts' name is on the cover of this also...

all: I followed the instructions given on the website to install this to usb.  Does this count as a 'manual install' as described by the old-timers that have been using linux for years? I am anxious to be less of a noob.... I did cheat a little by using gparted to do the partitioning but I have used the cli partitioner before on an old version of (I think...) TinyMe....  still counts though .... right??... please??

thanx 4 ur comments, nothing better than an 'active' forum.

: )

Offline chalkartist

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
ok, problem solved (at least with my quad machine at home... will check on machine at work after w/e).  Posting this from within the cloud using the new version 2.4.1.  I should be able to install to usb as before (this counts as 'manual install' right????)...

Thanks for your help.

Offline chalkartist

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
ok, working on usb, did install using cfdisk... prob solved. thanx all : )

Offline thane

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
After several months of using TCL I'm still booting off a CD (my old Compaq doesn't support USB boot). Whatever works!

Offline jls

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 01:29:38 AM »
why don't u install grub on the hd or use a boot floppy?
dCore user