WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Frugal Install  (Read 6353 times)

Offline mwhit95

Frugal Install
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
I tried to do a frugal install like I saw in another post but it won't continue booting.  This is the error that I get:

no setup sigaturre found

This is my grub line:

title Tiny Core on hda3 (tce=hda3/tcZ restore=hda3/tc_backup nolocal)
kernel (hd0,2)/tinycore/bzImage quiet restore=hda3/tc_backup nolocal tce=hda3/tcZ
#kernel (hd0,2)/tinycore/bzImage quiet tz=US/Pacific base norestore nolocal xsetup
initrd (hd0,2)/tinycore/tinycore.gz 

Thanks,
Mke

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Frugal Install
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
Instead of trying to copy existing grub lines, tell us where you have copied your bzImage and tinycore.gz?

Also, I would start off with a simpler setup without using sub-directories such as:

title Tiny Core on hda3 (tce=hda3 restore=hda3 nolocal)
kernel (hd0,2)/bzImage quiet restore=hda3  nolocal tce=hda3
initrd (hd0,2)/tinycore.gz

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
no setup sigaturre found
Are you using a grub that was already installed on your machine?  I've had this error when trying to boot a 2.6 kernel using an older version of Grub that was already installed.  Upgrading Grub fixed it. 

Offline skipshearer

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
I spent a couple of hours last night on the same issue. I was getting the same message about "no setup sigature found".

I was tring to do a frugel install using a copy of /boot/grub from DSL 4.4.10. The problem is due to the newer kernel not being compatible with older versions of grub.

I upgraded grub to .97. TCL frugel booted no problem!

Offline mwhit95

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am using an older verison of grub that was installed with DSL 3.0.  I  didn't want to create a new partition and just put bzimage and tinycore.gz in a directory on my hda3  Before I upgrade my grub will the new version will it break my windows 98, DSL 3.0, Limp, and Blueflops booting?

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
If you use the same setup, it should retain and reuse your same config (i.e. menu.lst)
You could always back that up first if you want.

Offline mwhit95

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
Good news and bad news.  First the good news I downloaded the boot floppy and updated the menu.1st file and everything boots great from the floppy.  Bad news I don't know how to install grub and copied the files from the floppy to my old DSL boot directory and now the harddrive boot doesn't work.  I am going to try some of the stuff from this web page:

http://josephhall.org/grub_install_hda1.html