WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Requests for extensions  (Read 271791 times)

Offline sihorton

Re: Requests for extensions
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »
This means we could attempt to get TinyCoreLinux running inside coLinux, giving us a portable version

that would be the coolest thing i've ever seen in windows... last i checked, colinux was ridiculously huge, but i don't know if that was because of the distro it used or because colinux is just huge. obviously when i say "ridiculously huge" i'm saying it as someone who uses things like tc, but i think my xp install was smaller than colinux would have been.

Yes the Portable Ubuntu was 1.85 Gb on disk, when started it used the following memory:-
 - xming.exe                        24 Meg
 - colinux-slirp-net-daemon 2.2 Meg
 - colinux-daemon               4.5 Meg
 - colinux-console-nt           1.6 Meg
 - pulseaudio                      4.8 Meg

difficult to see if it is using any other processes, but a maximum of 34Meg additional. So yes compaired to TinyCore this is massive, but for a powerful windows machine it is no problem. Lets face it many people fire up a VM to test TinyCoreLinux out, this would give people a way to try it out in a portable fashion.

Offline kerpob

« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2009, 02:19:14 AM »
TC is rather thin on the ground for games - some of the simpler arcade games, like space invaders, or an emulator (mupen64) would be a welcome distraction from all the hard work. I've already put in a beg for lgeneral - my fave strategy game.
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline robc

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:30 AM »
Emelfm or MC already has a graphic tree structure if you need one.
Yes, I know. But I wanted to get my hands a little more dirty with some more difficult compilations so I can learn more. Plus its always nice to have some more options.

or an emulator (mupen64) would be a welcome distraction
There is snes9x extensions available if that interests you  :)
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
For all the resources involved (QT4), it almost seems silly.

gtk2 is so underrated!

a maximum of 34Meg additional. So yes compaired to TinyCore this is massive, but for a powerful windows machine it is no problem.

no if anything i can't think of a better use for colinux! i do occasionally find myself in front of someone else's machine using windows, and "cotc" would be a lot cooler than tc in qemu! i suspect it would need lots of things recompiled for it though, even if colinux uses native linux binaries, as i believe.

edit:
Emelfm or MC already has a graphic tree structure if you need one.

okay, i've downloaded emelfm and emelfm2 because i've never seen the graphic tree structure. actually i don't care about the "graphics" it's the difference between a tree and a list: a list shows you one level of folders at once, and a tree shows you multiple levels at once in one place, usually letting you collapse parts of the tree. i've been through the settings and not for the first time, unable to find anything like that (or anything graphical either.)

funnily enough, the options dialog itself has a tree structure. it is gnome/nautilus style, having down or side-pointing triangles in a list, but both features of a tree. and yet no way to apply this to any file view. no tree in emelfm, that's why pcmanfm would be so good. trees make managing many folders a lot easier.

as for mc which is a high quality app in general, i've seen its tree view, it actually has one. but because it's a popup and not available in the pane, its merely a quicker way to change folders and lacks most of the benefits of a tree view that go beyond just opening a different list. a side view or pane tree lets you browse many folders on many levels quickly, more quickly than possible in mc- and stays open.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:23:07 AM by tobiaus »

Offline thane

« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »
As far as games, I'd like a good version of Spider Solitaire (not to plug the competition [?] but Puppy Linux has one).

Please let me know if it's already here and I've overlooked it.

Offline arejaytee

« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »
Ive seen people talk about Apache and XAMPP, I was wondering if anyone was able to make a package with a Tomcat installation working also, for JAVA applications. Ive tried but failed miserably :(

Offline svensko

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
Any chance we can get MOC (music on console) - http://moc.daper.net/

and

Cheese (or any webcam program)

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »
Cheese (or any webcam program)
mplayer perhaps?

Offline junan

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
request for htop http://htop.sourceforge.net/
i think top is not enough for tiny screen ...
fun and fearless ...

Offline Stratofortress

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
I would like to request the LIRC package with serial driver (http://www.lirc.org/) for my TC 2.x system. My laptop is to slow to install de debs (kernel headers) and I haven't figured cross-compiling out yet. Can somebody help me? Thanks!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2009, 05:04:36 AM »
I'll try to have a look at it in the next couple of days - I see it says the 2.6.27 kernel is supported, so it's not sure that the 2.6.29.1 kernel is supported.

Also - I no longer have any hardware with an irda port, so this is going to be a shot in the dark...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2009, 05:08:40 AM »
request for htop http://htop.sourceforge.net/
i think top is not enough for tiny screen ...
I'll try to have a look in the next couple of days...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2009, 05:19:52 AM »
@Juanito - I think LIRC can't handle IRDA ports at all, it needs CIR (consumer IR, the remote control stuff)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Stratofortress

« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »
If I'm correct, a physical IRDA module isn't needed to build LIRC. LIRC can receive IRDA and normal IR (remote control). Also it can send (control devices) to IR and IRDA devices. The connection type is selectable by a driver (IR/IRDA/Soundcard/etc). I am only interested in a serial driver so the homebrew receivers are compatible and can be controlled by a regular remote.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:04:11 AM by Stratofortress »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »
..in a very quick attempt, lirc did not want to compile against the 2.6.29.1 kernel source, but I have an 11 hour flight tomorrow so there's going to be plenty of time to play around with this...