WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Requests for extensions  (Read 269100 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Requests for extensions
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »
Ref openoffice/002

very odd extension to not be available as tcz

As mentioned in the initial post for oo2, I was waiting for feedback on the tcel extension to know if any modifications were neccessary before submitting a tczl extension...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 09:50:47 PM »
As mentioned in the initial post for oo2, I was waiting for feedback on the tcel extension to know if any modifications were neccessary before submitting a tczl extension...

i'm sorry, i try to read every post, but i just don't remember seeing that one. i'll install it and see what i can tell you about it. one of the main things i would use oo2 for is creating a pdf file.

edit: i installed it with libxml, expat, and fontconfig. i think that's enough for write to open and be useful (but first it reports incompatibility with locale en_US, perhaps because i didn't install the rest.)

i was able to type, spellcheck, insert an image, save, load, and export to pdf. more an issue with xpdf than write, but xpdf did not display the "hello" i typed for line 1. is that because it's the first line on the first page or because xpdf won't show any text? not your problem.

i do know the text displayed properly in epdfview, and in both epdfview and xpdf, the picture (just a screen cap made from the tc menu) displayed in both viewers. this is so preferable to using oo in xubuntu, thank you so much for this. if i can't display any text exported to pdf (in xpdf) i'll report it as an xpdf bug, but i'd like to wait for the tcz.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:14:27 PM by tobiaus »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »
... one of the main things i would use oo2 for is creating a pdf file.

There's got to be several lower bandwidth alternatives to making a pdf file than oo2 - cups, gs, gimp...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
There's got to be several lower bandwidth alternatives to making a pdf file than oo2 - cups, gs, gimp...

not for tc, and not that i've seen in any other distro (not that i've looked.) i love lower bandwidth stuff, that's why i always wanted dsl to be more like tc (before i'd ever heard of tc.) actually i'm in dsl right now, i wanted to help someone figure out a dsl task, and it's actually very nice. give it a week or two, i'd be trying to make it like tc again. in xubuntu, i've replaced xfce with jwm, thunar with xfe, mousepad with leafpad, and even removed usplash.

lower bandwidth solutions aren't always the best ones. i think they are for most people, most of the time, but i'm very glad that oo exists even though i'd rather something like abiword. my experience with abiword from distro to distro is it needs to be forked into a project that focuses on making it more reliable. great idea, but the implementation...

the way you did oo is low-bandwidth (for oo.) and that's the only way i'd want to use it, mostly for pdf's, but not only. i don't feel like creating pdf's via scripting, if that's one of the solutions. i avoid cups, and i doubt i'd want to use gimp to turn a book or essay into a pdf.

Offline pema

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
Would it be possible adding qtstalker ? Program for analysis of stock and bonds.

Maybe midbrowser could be a good webbrowser for tcl, works very neat in xubuntu 8.10.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
There was something QT4 did not like in our environment; for now at least qt4 apps aren't possible, qt3 should be when someone has the time for it. Qtstalker is a qt3 app.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 04:30:10 AM »
gdmap would be neat. :)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 05:20:15 AM »
let me have a look - the install/readme files in the tarball are not exactly overflowing with information...

Edit: OK, compiled - it's a gtk2 app. It works on ext2 partitions but not ntfs and I'm not totally sure what it's (graphically) telling me  :)
I'll tidy things up and post tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:47:45 AM by Juanito »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
just had coffee
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 07:03:49 AM »
it's a graphical version of du, by far one of the most useful tools i've ever seen. there is a gpl windows version called windirstat, which is inspired by kdirstat for kde. thank you very much for this, it's a great tool. i also find du very useful, but busybox du is always good enough. the main difference is gnu du (i sudo gnu du, do you sudo gnu du too?) has -b, but i haven't used du -b in a long time.

"du -b du -b du && date dd dd ddate..." (strangers in the night) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treemapping

Offline cmau

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
Would be great to have EDE as an extension.

http://equinox-project.org/

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 07:23:42 AM »
i'm happy with the browser i'm using, though it's worth mentioning that kazehakase and tc are two projects that seem like they would compliment each other well. each could be a good demonstration of the other.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
If someone has time, I would like to have a pysqlite extension.  Thanks!

http://pysqlite.org

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
i'm happy with the browser i'm using, though it's worth mentioning that kazehakase and tc are two projects that seem like they would compliment each other well. each could be a good demonstration of the other.
kazehakase compiles without errors and starts up OK, but when you enter any url it crashes. As per google, plenty of others seem to be having the same experience...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 02:16:22 AM »
disappointing, i've never had any problems with it in xubuntu. thanks for trying, hopefully this is a project people will keep an eye on. incidentally, i removed it this week, in my attempts to strip xubuntu down to make it more and more like tinycore, and get tc to do everything is use xubuntu for until i can replace xubuntu entirely.

(this is how i migrated from win to linux also.) on the other computer i use tc every day, i only use xubuntu sometimes (lately just to strip it down.)

since there's no need for kaze and it's not in tc, i'm using ff in both distros. aterm replaced xfce4-term, jwm replaces xfce, i've even configured jwm to be virtually identical to tc in every way (tray, menu, theme.) i removed usplash, now booting and shutdown are more like tc.

i think the main features now are wireless and kompozer, and dosemu. except for games/multimedia, dosemu is faster/superior/better features, but most distros (especially most with 2.6) only support dosbox. i plan to get wireless working in tc one of these days (low priority,) then replacing xubuntu entirely is going to be a lot easier.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
I didn't see an extension for burniso2cd, pburn or other gui cd/dvd recording apps that handle img, data, audio and video formats. Are these or equivalents buried in one of the extensions? If not I would like to request them or an equivalent.

--------------------------
edit: I've been playing around with pburn on puppy linux and find it to be a great little program for burning cd's and dvd's. It would be great to have it as part of tinycore. See attached image.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:06:00 PM by bigpcman »
big pc man