WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Why aren't bugs in TC/MC/TC-extensions tracked with launchpad/trac/bugzilla?  (Read 3144 times)

Offline tinycorenoob

Even though TC/MC are both tight systems, and the extension PPR setup keeps out system rot - TC/MC will still have a variety of bugs.

Why do we "track" these bugs via the forums?

Seems inefficient to me when alternative like lpad/trac/bugzilla are out there.

If there is a bug tracker, could you please link me too it as I can not one anywhere on the site.

DistroWatch lists no bug tracker so I assume that TC doesn't implement a bug tracking platform.

The addition of a bugtracker, IMHO would add to the TC community and perhaps allow better organization of bug fixing.

Just a suggestion, correct me if I am wrong.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
There are the 2 forum sections for bugs because it is convenient to do so, afaik, and it is still quite manageable.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
It's also friendlier to newcomers than bugzilla/others.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinycorenoob

It's also friendlier to newcomers than bugzilla/others.

I'm quite sure that those most likely to report bugs (in the greatest majority), will be experienced open source users such as yourselves. Although a tight user base and the two support sections of the forum seem adequate for new comers in relation to bugs - they can hardly substitute for a good bug tracker. Its why they are there - too make our wonderful programming team's job easier, more manageable, and more easily "trackable".

I bug-tracker is the best way to keep a system free of bugs, and lets the users submit "requests/improvements" in a more systematic and manageable way - features that can be tracked across releases (as in a release plan etc.).

And we can still use the bug tracker in conjunction with the forums - if newcomers come in and report a bug, we can verify it and send a more detailed report via the bug tracker. Leading to a more efficient development cycle.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum

I bug-tracker is the best way to keep a system free of bugs, and lets the users submit "requests/improvements" in a more systematic and manageable way - features that can be tracked across releases (as in a release plan etc.).

In general bug-tracker is just a tool which has to fit to the development environment and methodology, it is not a guarentee to make it better, faster or more efficient, it can make things even worst. This is not a 'one fit all' case. BTW, you have to add mantis to your list: http://www.mantisbt.org/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:09:18 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Kingdomcome

Bug tracking in the forum is the chosen style for the TC project, and is working quite well to this point.  Not only are the reports responded to very quickly, they are in front of everyone reading the forum, not tucked away in another interface that would not get nearly the amount of traffic that the forum does.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
The only way that a bugtracker would work is if there was a "No bug reports in the forums" rule to prevent duplication.  I personally find the forum ideal for bug reports since this is the where all the discussion takes place.

If TC were a lot bigger, then it perhaps would make sense to have a bugtracker.  But for now I think the present approach is ideal.

Offline wdef

I've used Fogbugz and Launchpad. Both work but are surprisingly ugly.  But the only real difference between these and a forum is (a) these send out emails, and (b) they have a status setting like 'resolved', 'fixed' etc, and (c) you can search by these status settings or tags (though Launchpad is primitive in this regard).  These are useful for large projects involving a lot of bugs where searching/tracking by status and getting an email when anyone posts to your bug are helpful.  I'm not sure these would achieve much here. A bug tracker for the base might make more sense if there was to be one.