WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to remember settings?  (Read 28257 times)

Offline qb4

Re: How to remember settings?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
Just to throw another cat in with the pigeons..

My fave is XFE, in 2-pane mode.

Would love a .tce.

I know it gets to be biggish with the required foxlibs, but hey, you only live once.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:34:49 PM by qb4 »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
i don't know if it would be that big. even with the libs, based on what i saw on the puppy forum, it should be less than half the size of firefox.

at least that's smaller than you think it would be, reading comparisons between foxlibs and qt. it seems xfe used to be x win commander. have you ever used the original, and is it any good? sometimes the earlier versions are less bloated (or won't even need foxlibs) and sometimes they're just annoying. the original emelfm is pretty good next to emelfm2, but i usually use the newer one since firefox already installs gtk2.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »
XFE was my first non-KDE file manager as it came with Vector Linux.  It was my favorite before starting with ROX a little while back and later emelfm/emelfm2.   I would like to see my old favorites around and XFE is another one of them.  Version 0.88 is my favorite as it was still fairly small but also featureful and easy on the eyes.  Another must have.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
it should be great to see both of them, so many people are used to orthodox filemanagers in linux (and i actually enjoyed using emelfm in dsl,) they don't always understand what a difference something like rox or xfe can make for others.

stuff like this really proves how much trouble is saved by tinycore's philosophy. whatever roberts has in mind (i'm trying to understand, i'm reading the 6 chapters he wrote right now,) it's easy to see this is something we never have to argue about including or excluding from the core. if you like it, use it. if you don't like it, it will never bother you or take up space :) modularization ftw. i dreamed that dsl would be like this, someday.

edit: getting back on topic, i finally have a keychain that will boot linux, using extlinux.tce and something like juanito's setup. i've never bothered because i thought it involved repartitioning a usb drive (this way, it did) and because i am not accustomed to having the option in the bios.

it's not exactly what i expected, new edit: even after adding restore=sda1, it does not seem to save any settings, but tce=sda1 seems to keep the extensions (default settings each boot.) extlinux needed me to enter /boot/bzImage every time, and complained it couldn't find image: linux. so i copied ./boot/bzImage to ./boot/linux and now it boots automatically! still no restore yet:

Code: [Select]
kernel /boot/bzImage
append initrd=/boot/tinycore.gz quiet vga=773 noswap laptop tce=sda1 restore=sda1 waitusb=5 noscan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:51:09 AM by tobiaus »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
tobiaus, why not copy the isolinux.cfg? Or rather the structure. Here's that with your parts added:
default tinycore
label tinycore
        kernel /boot/bzImage
        append initrd=/boot/tinycore.gz quiet vga=773 noswap laptop tce=sda1 restore=sda1 waitusb=5

timeout 300
I believe the key to autoboot is to create a label, and then make it the default. BTW noscan is not a valid option, what did you try to skip?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »
thanks! that means i don't have to copy bzImage to linux.

i'm sorry! i couldn't figure out why the settings weren't saving. it's because forever i've ignored the exit settings and used sudo commandstorebootorpoweroff and i'm supposed to use exittc. it's gui only, if exitcheck.sh works by itself i'll use that. i was beguiled by friendly "syncing" messages... :( obviously sync just syncs, it's doesn't have magical powers. thank you! i never had a usb linux key before, it's fun.

Offline 8-bit

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
As to settings being saved on a frugal install, I have found that when I set up backup, install a program like Opera, bookmark a page with it, and exit....
First, the Backup box is checked
Second, I am told when I pick shutdown or reboot that Backup has not been set up.
Third, although my applications that I installed reappear, configuration settings in them have dissapeared.
As an example, Opera, on a reboot, always comes up like I just installed it and my bookmarks have dissapeared.
Is this a glitch or am I just a dumb end user???

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
it sounds like a glitch. you mention you set it up, are you referring to the restore option? is the frugal install still the one on virtualbox?

Offline 8-bit

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »
OK, first I did a frugal install.
Then I set up BACKUP to point to the subdirectory on the harddrive I installed to.
Then I installed some apps from the TCZ selection.
I fired up Opera, agreed to the license agreement, searched for and bookmarked the TinyCore forum.
When I went to reboot, I was told that BACKUP was not set up.
The entry I gave to backup was 'hda1/tce'
After reboot, all settings gone.
And at reboot, same message about backup not being set up.
On booting, it looked like the TCZ files in the TCE directory were extracted and added.
I have the restore option set up in grub too.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »
If you instruct TC to place your backup in a subdirectory hda1/tce then autoscan upon subsequent boots won't find it.
Therefore no restore occurs, you would have to add the boot option of restore=hda1/tce

If you want autoscan to find your backup/restore then you should simply specify the backup of hda1
That is don't use a subdirectory.

This is covered in the Getting Started document, see Backup/Restore section.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline 8-bit

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »
If you instruct TC to place your backup in a subdirectory hda1/tce then autoscan upon subsequent boots won't find it.
Therefore no restore occurs, you would have to add the boot option of restore=hda1/tce

If you want autoscan to find your backup/restore then you should simply specify the backup of hda1
That is don't use a subdirectory.

This is covered in the Getting Started document, see Backup/Restore section.

I have that boot option setup in grub/menu.lst but no joy.
When I click on the BACKUP/RSTORE button and type in hda1/tce, I can restore my settings.
It just does not seem to work on bootup though.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »
Post your grub menu.lst
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline 8-bit

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »
This is my grub menu.lst entry for booting frugal tinycore:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Tiny Core Linux .9
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /tce/bzImage quiet
  initrd /tce/tinycore.gz tce=hda1/tce restore=hda1/tce
# Linux bootable partition config ends

As you can see, I have my tinycore subdirectory and restore directory both set up.
Do I need to specify the mydata.tgz file in the restore parameter?
Also, I get a message that my AMD duel core processor does not support write combining.
I also get 2 messages about init 10, But they are on bootup and they do not stay long enough to be able to remember them in their entirety.
I also tried to put the boot parameters on a line after the initrd one as a test.
  I am open to trying a known working grub menu.lst entry for a frugal install given an example.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:02:14 PM by 8-bit »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
i think the problem is that you're pointing restore and tce to hda1/tce

i believe if you just point tce=hda1 restore=hda1 tc will find the tce folder and the restore file. also i thought those went on the kernel line? maybe not.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »
You need to move those options to the kernel line for them to work.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.