WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_2.4rc3  (Read 22120 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: tinycore_2.4rc3
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »

Robert, is there a non-hastle way of including a visible boot option?  If not, I can live with it.  Thanks

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 01:12:48 PM »
Hi again Robert!

Thanks for your response but I still think there is something that isn't well with the Refresh Menu option, The screen went black when pressing it. All was made from scratch with no backup or restore. I usually test this out when there is a new cut. After that (if nothing dramatically has changed) I just use tce=hda6 and restore=hda1. Those contain the apps I need and the files that have to be restored to make tinycore 2.4.x work on my 8,5 years old laptop. So I really find tinycore very swift and comfortable to use in my daily use of a computer. Thanks a lot to all of you who are making tinycore progress.

Have fun with tinycore,
meo

Booting tinycore with base norestore and selecting Refresh Menu still works fine for me.
I wonder why there is a need to be selecting Refresh Menu, the extension loader handles menu, icons and desktop update. You are using flwm and tinycore?

A black screen and with a large X typically means no window manager was found. If you boot your system and then first select a shell and then Refresh Menu, you should be able to use the Shell window to see if you can type flwm& to restart the window manager.

But at this point I still cannot reproduce your error.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

Robert, is there a non-hastle way of including a visible boot option?  If not, I can live with it.  Thanks

I am still tyring a few concepts. I want the average use to see a cleaner consistent boot screen. I do not like hundreds of files being printed to screen. I do not do that with the files being restored, which is very similar. Some my argue that seeing files being restored is more important than extension names being displayed during boot. Some want only a GU curtain like Slim.  I do however, wish to provide a way for developer types to see more information as extensions load. Still in progress.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
On a clean system the first loop device is /dev/loop0. Installing extensions in RAM is consuming a loop device for each extensions. For example after installing Midnight Commander and its 3 dependencies first loop device is /dev/loop4 according to 'losetup -f'

It means, that after loading 320 extensions to RAM in my case no any free loop device available even when no any mounted loop.

Just for checking mounting and unmounting an extension manually as a loop device next free loop device remains the same after.

EDIT: Extensions at the end of the list (in alphabetic order) are not installed as no free loop device available.

This has already been addressed. The umount command did not free loop device when tcz was temporarily mounted to copy to ram. Using the busybox umount -d will and does free the loop device.
So, it was already brought to my attention and is solved in the next cut.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
I noticed that   "zcat $BOOTDIR/tinycore.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d" doesn't seem to work; are we using something different now? (sorry if this is already posted somewhere...)

I just saw that busybox cpio was dropped ; I'll check out GNU

I'm not sure what docs to be looking at regarding remastering. gnutils? 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:04:15 PM by jpeters »

Offline meo

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
Hello Robert!

It beats me to. The thing is that, as I mentioned, boot with the noicons boot code. So there were no icons to start beaver or emelfm and it didnt work to use Run command in the tools menu either. The only option left was to refresh the menu. When I did just that the screen went black with a - or _ sign twinkling in the upper left corner. It really isn't a problem since I have a tce directory and a backupfile I can specify in the boot code. I just thought it was something to mention.

Have fun,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
gwalther: That did it!   :D  Thanks greatly.  Everyone else: 'noswap' is to be avoided, at least for now I guess.  ???  Should this be considered a bug?

roberts: I'm usually running frugally with both tce/ and mydata.gz on a linux ext2 partition on a real hard disk.  The main thing I do with that 'other' Linux is download a new tc .iso and adjust my menu.lst.  ;)

--
Mike
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:34:52 PM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
Will do. Thanks!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »

I am still tyring a few concepts. I want the average use to see a cleaner consistent boot screen. I do not like hundreds of files being printed to screen. I do not do that with the files being restored, which is very similar. Some my argue that seeing files being restored is more important than extension names being displayed during boot. Some want only a GU curtain like Slim.  I do however, wish to provide a way for developer types to see more information as extensions load. Still in progress.

How about a -verbose boot option.
[ $VERBOSE ] && echo " $FILE"

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
Hello Robert!

It beats me to. The thing is that, as I mentioned, boot with the noicons boot code. So there were no icons to start beaver or emelfm and it didnt work to use Run command in the tools menu either. The only option left was to refresh the menu. When I did just that the screen went black with a - or _ sign twinkling in the upper left corner. It really isn't a problem since I have a tce directory and a backupfile I can specify in the boot code. I just thought it was something to mention.

Have fun,
meo

meo, Eureka! It only took me to realize that you also were doing noicons! I don't know how I missed it Anyway, I can reproduce the fact that menu update does not occur. So now it will be fixed.

Thanks for mentioning it!  Everyone's feedback improves the release.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:48:14 PM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
gwalther: That did it!   :D  Thanks greatly.  Everyone else: 'noswap' is to be avoided, at least for now I guess.  ???  Should this be considered a bug?

roberts: I'm usually running frugally with both tce/ and mydata.gz on a linux ext2 partition on a real hard disk.  The main thing I do with that 'other' Linux is download a new tc .iso and adjust my menu.lst.  ;)

--
Mike

Likely a timing issue. Would you try again, add noswap waitusb=5
That will help determine if indeed a timing issue.

Offline jls

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »
I would like key bindings for enlarge horizontally and vertically at the maximum size, like the 2 buttons near the hide button do.

legalize
dCore user

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »
jls_legalize:

OK, I'll add Ctrl+Alt+H to toggle between max horizontal size and previous non-max size. Same for Ctrl+Alt+V and the vertical resizing. Also try to make the taller/pageup and shorter/pagedown resizing look more intuitive.
--
Mike L.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
roberts: I tried rebooting with:
  tce=hdc4 laptop noswap waitusb=5

I have the same problem.  hdc4 does not mount, and I don't have any extentions or my personal files.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
I've implemented the changes I mentioned to jls_legalize, plus I also added a Ctrl+Alt+'m' to maximize in both dimentions.  The updates have been forwarded to the Core Team.  I hope people find these new hotkeys and the modified resizing behavior useful and more intuitive.  I know I like these changes.

Note that these maximize hotkeys will un-maximize the window if it is already at the maximum, meaning the window will return to the prior non-maximal size.
--
ML