WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_2.4rc2  (Read 25252 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_2.4rc2
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »
The Second Release Candidate of v2.4 (tinycore_2.4rc2.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates/

Change log for v2.4 Release Candidate 2
* Updated flwm to v 1.10 - Top side title bar, hotkeys, and color window title bars (See Notes below)
* Updated flpicsee to v1,0 - replaced Alt with Ctrl hotkyes.
* Updated tc-config, startx, and .profile to make desktop environment reentrant & better support of microcore.
* New tce-setup to load all tce applications from a tinycore "base norestore text" boot
* Updated tc-config now calls tce-setup, as tce loading has been factored out.
* Updated tc-restore & filetool.sh to implement 'protect' blowfish encrypted backup.
* Updated tc-restore & filetool.sh for default backup to be located in persistent tce directory.
* Updated setbackground to process compressed logo template, saves much space.
* Updated tce-load to fix bug regarding partial downloads of dependencies
* Updated .xsession so watcher, now at +0-0, does not overlay flit
* Updated /opt/.tcrc to tcz repository..
* Dropped 'checkfs' boot option. Use options 'base norestore' to check and fix filesystems and then start up complete system.

Files likely in your backup that you must update.
.profile
.xsession

Notes:

The desktop environment has been moved from tc-config into startx. This allows a microcore boot with base norestore, then manually (tce-load -i) the core elements together with your choice of window manager, wbar, flit, and/or watcher. Upon completion, still at the $ prompt, typing startx will bring up a working desktop environment. You can still exit to prompt, and run startx.

And with the new tce-setup, you can load all your PPR with a single command.
Just boot tinycore 'base norestore text   Then when ready.

$ sudo tce-setup
$ startx

Same with microcore, except, of course,  the text boot option is not needed

Notes: Hotkeys for Color Title Bars for flwm v1.10. ( Thanks to Mike L. for the many improvements to flwm! )

changed Alt+Enter to Alt+F1 to iconize a window

Ctrl Alt arrows moves the window
Ctrl Alt =         grows the window (unshifted + key)
Ctrl Alt -          shrinks the window
Ctrl Alt PgUp   grows the window veritcally
Ctrl Alt PgDn   shrinks the window vertically
Ctrl Alt ,           grows the window hortizontally (unshifted < key)
Ctrl Alt .           grows the window hortizontally (unshifted > key)
Ctrl Alt t           taller (sames as PgUp)
Ctrl Alt s          shorter (same as PgDn)

flwm now optionally supports environment variable FLWM_TITLEBAR_COLOR to set color for window title bars.
To set use hex rgb, e.g, 20:5F:20 (Currently supports fltk gtk+ scheme.)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:23:14 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: tinycore_2.4rc2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »
Boots jwm without tray or hotkeys; haven't tried much, other than copy over new .profile, .xsession; tried
startx from prompt, jwm_restart, etc..

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »
Looks like the new RC overwrote the .jwmrc files in $HOME.  I had some backups, so restored.

edit: and continues to overwrite them; shouldn't they be only in /skel?  

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:26:44 PM by jpeters »

Offline meo

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
Hi team tinycore!

Just tested the new tinycore 2.4 rc 2 and it works excellent. Very good work! Thanks to all of you.

Have fun developing tinycore further,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »
Default backup location offered by cpanel is sdb1/tce booting and using a single FAT partition. I think it is not a proper location. To have a good default is great and much better than leave it blank. I would prefere the root of the boot partition if a single partition is used or the root of the other Linux partition used for /tce if exists.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:14:23 AM »
I respect that we all think differently and can genuinely have different opinions.

I like the backup in the tce directory. It keeps the root directory cleaner.

I think it is good to have a default. It makes it easier for new users. There is one less thing for them to get caught up on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:15:22 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 02:36:45 AM »
I respect that we all think differently and can genuinely have different opinions.

I like the backup in the tce directory. It keeps the root directory cleaner.

I think it is good to have a default. It makes it easier for new users. There is one less thing for them to get up on.

Agree, good to have a default.

However mixing up directories is a bad idea. If you like to have a clean root dir why do you like a tce with backup which has nothing to do with extensions?
Béla

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:56:15 AM »
I save certain things in /mnt/sda1 (I actually have several partitions - the partition I am using). By minimizing what is in /home/tc, backup is quick. Having less directories there to begin with is cleaner.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline jls

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:19 AM »
.....Ctrl Alt =         grows the window (unshifted + key)......
doesn't work on my italian keyboard, maybe because in order to type "=" I have to press shift 0
 :(

legalize cannabis, coke, ero
dCore user

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:41 AM »
File/Install File/Mount or File/Download in appbrowser gives an error pop up window with no any description of the error.

System is booted with base nolocal norestore waitusb=5 option. In /etc/sysconfig there are no tce location description file. In previous versions in such case it was tce.mount pointing to /tmp/tce

Just wanted to check new extension dependency on a clean system but can't load modules from the repository due to lack of /etc/sysconfig.tce.mount and tce dir.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:34:51 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »
Another strange thing. It happened many times that installing application with appbrowser its content is not stored in the RAM, but appbrowser says it was successful. Downloaded extension is stored in /tce and after rebooting they are working as expected.
Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 06:36:17 AM »
.....Ctrl Alt =         grows the window (unshifted + key)......
doesn't work on my italian keyboard, maybe because in order to type "=" I have to press shift 0
 :(

legalize cannabis, coke, ero

Do the other hotkeys work?

Note: If using the full Xorg server and hotkeys do not work, you may need to add a sleep command just after the waitfoX

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 06:47:01 AM »
File/Install File/Mount or File/Download in appbrowser gives an error pop up window with no any description of the error.

System is booted with base nolocal norestore waitusb=5 option. In /etc/sysconfig there are no tce location description file. In previous versions in such case it was tce.mount pointing to /tmp/tce

Just wanted to check new extension dependency on a clean system but can't load modules from the repository due to lack of /etc/sysconfig.tce.mount and tce dir.

Yes, a bug indeed, but an easy fix. The work around for now
echo "/tmp/tce" > /opt/.tce_dir
mkdir /tmp/tce

Offline tclfan

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
Default backup location offered by cpanel is sdb1/tce booting and using a single FAT partition. I think it is not a proper location. To have a good default is great and much better than leave it blank. I would prefere the root of the boot partition if a single partition is used or the root of the other Linux partition used for /tce if exists.
If I can add my two cents, I agree with Bela. Folder /tce is to store static content of extensions only, while mybackup file is dynamic content and should live separate not mixed with static content.
E.g. with usb install in Zip emulation, the actual OS is in small first partition sdb1, while /tce folder is created in the second and larger partition sdb2. The backup file (mybackup) should be side-by side with /tce folder, therefore in the root directory. It is not being mixed with the OS files, since the OS is self-contained on the first partition (sdb1) and nothing else is stored there...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 06:54:27 AM »
Another strange thing. It happened many times that installing application with appbrowser its content is not stored in the RAM, but appbrowser says it was successful. Downloaded extension is stored in /tce and after rebooting they are working as expected.

Please supply specific example(s) so that I may try to duplicate.
Thanks.