WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: what are the differences between install the extensions to RAM or mount them?  (Read 7810 times)

Offline xpto09

I read this in a topic:
Code: [Select]
You can either install the extensions to RAM or mount them.

Offline Guy

If you install all of the extensions to ram, all programs are loaded to ram when you start the computer. When you start a program, the computer will access it from ram. If you install a lot of programs, and use this method, you may require more ram than most other operating systems.

If you mount extensions, the operating system knows where they are on the hard drive. When you start a program, the computer will access it from the hard drive. This method only requires the same amount of ram as other operating systems.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tclfan

If you install all of the extensions to ram, all programs are loaded to ram when you start the computer. When you start a program, the computer will access it from ram. If you install a lot of programs, and use this method, you may require more ram than most other operating systems.

If you mount extensions, the operating system knows where they are on the hard drive. When you start a program, the computer will access it from the hard drive. This method only requires the same amount of ram as other operating systems.
Just to be myself clear on this terminology:  Do we equate here mounting extensions with TCZ loop mounting vs. TCE loading in memory?
I thought all along that tcz will save some memory, but not a lot comparing to tce, at least not nearly comparing to when programs (extensions) reside in storage and are loaded when called upon to execute...
Can we please clarify this memory usage?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
When saved to memory, it takes up memory twice.
Once in the RAM disk, and once again in memory when running.
When mounted, only the running code is in memory.

Offline jls

I removed many tcz from my tce dir, rebooted and now I have a lot more free ram.
Looks like this mounted tcz uses a lot of ram
dCore user

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Simple answer. Mounting will allow many more, or larger, extensions to be used than ram loading them.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tclfan

I removed many tcz from my tce dir, rebooted and now I have a lot more free ram.
I read some time ago a memory usage benchmark between tcz and tce types and the difference was something like 20-30%. There is no question in my mind that tcz style is superior, but if I can quote assessment of gerald_clark:
"When saved to memory, it takes up memory twice.
Once in the RAM disk, and once again in memory when running.
When mounted, only the running code is in memory."

Then where is this memory used, if tcz is loop mounted from storage HD or USB), not RAM disk?

Offline Guy

There is a time when running entirely from ram is advantageous.

If you are running from something which reads slowly, such as a cd, the operating system will run faster if loaded to ram so it does not need to read the cd again.

Offline beerstein

Can I install the extensions plus the system onto a hard drive or an USB stick?

I had TC running and installed some extensions ( 30 minutes) the when I switched off - all the extensions were gone. I would like to have either new Live CD with my extensions or the whole thing (system and extensions) in a file or even installed on hd.

I have learned some where in this forum that TC is not ment for hd installation - why

I love it

beerstein
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum

I had TC running and installed some extensions ( 30 minutes) the when I switched off - all the extensions were gone. I would like to have either new Live CD with my extensions or the whole thing (system and extensions) in a file or even installed on hd.

I have learned some where in this forum that TC is not ment for hd installation - why

I love it

beerstein

If you are using WINDOWS, download UNetbootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and install. Next format your stick for a usual FAT partition, than install the TC ISO image with UNetbootin.

Than create a /tce dir in the root of the stick where TC installed. /tce will be used by TC to store downloaded applications permanently.

When booting from the stick hit TAB to get to edit boot parameters and add to the end

tinycore waitusb=5

Other methode is to start TC from a CD and use its builtin usbinstall function. Creation of /tce and use of waitusb is the same as before.

Later when you are familiar with TC you can apply more advenced techniques but it is a good startup.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:51:00 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Guy

It can be installed on both hard drives and usb drives.

Here is some info

Hard drive installation

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html

[removed due to policy violation]/net-install.html

[removed due to policy violation]/install.html

USB installation

[removed due to policy violation]/install-usb.html

You can even make a cd with programs.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Integrating_extensions

[removed due to policy violation]/modified-cd.html

Offline nickispeaki

[removed due to policy violation]/net-install.html

[removed due to policy violation]/install.html
[removed due to policy violation]/install-usb.html
[removed due to policy violation]/modified-cd.html

[removed due to policy violation] is dead!  :-[

Offline Guy

[removed due to policy violation] is dead!

What do you mean by dead!

Offline 4-stroke

[removed due to policy violation] is dead!

What do you mean by dead!

I can acess the page just fine. There's some great info there btw. ;D
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams

Offline mcewanw

Then where is this memory used, if tcz is loop mounted from storage HD or USB . . . ?

No-one seems to have answered this question. Why do loop mounted tcz extensions use up so much RAM (even prior to actually running the applications in these mounted extensions)? Simply mounting a normal partition doesn't eat up RAM but loop mounting tcz extensions seems to.

For example, I notice how little RAM tinycore uses before any tcz extensions are loop mounted. But once you loop mount a browser and emelfm2 (along with all the dependencies), for example, the RAM used shoots up even prior to actually running any of these applications.