WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Not displaying the right colors in browser with nm2360 chip  (Read 4614 times)

Offline meo

Not displaying the right colors in browser with nm2360 chip
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and it might not be a bug. I might just need another driver to my computers graphic chip. The thing is that I have 1024x768x16 in resolution and color but it seems to me that the system is trying to show 1024x768x24 instead of 16 as it should be. I have a neomagic 2360 chip in a dell latitude CS 500. I have tried to solve it but I just can't. So if anyone know how to solve this problem I'd be most grateful because the colors in opera looks horrible. Thanks beforehand!

Have fun with TCL,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Not displaying the right colors in browser with nm2360 chip
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
Are you using Xvesa or full X?

What does ~/.xsession say - x16 or x24?

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »
Hi Juanito!

I started without boot codes and then the .xsession was 1024x768.32. I changed with the xvesasetup and now after restarting the wm I have 1024x768x16 but the colors are just as horrible as they were. So maybe there is a bug there or it isn't using the right driver. I wonder what to do next. Perhaps the solution would be to put up a full X. What do you think?

Have fun,
meo

MODIFIED after c:a 40 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:29:31 AM by meo »
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline ke4nt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »
Hey meo,

Did you ever need to use xfbdev on that machine instead of XVesa?
I have a laptop that simply won't use XVesa , regardless of settings, but uses Xfbdev ok.

There is an Xfbdev extension available..

ke4nt

....The CORE Lives....

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »
Hi ke4nt!

I haven't needed it before. I has always worked with xvesa. But it might be worth a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Have fun,
meo

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
Welcome meo,

I am using the Xfbdev extension on my Neomagic NM2160 notebook and it works great!
If you were booting DSL with say fb800x600, then you will need to use this extension.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline meo

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
Hi again Robert!

Well it works fine in DSL with xvesa as I mentioned. But I don't seem to get it to work right in Tiny Core Linux. That's a shame because I'd like to explore the development further. Any suggestions that may help me out in this are welcome.

Have fun,
meo

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »
there is also an xvesa.tce extension in the appbrowser. i haven't used it (i should try it) but i believe it is more complete than tc's xvesa.

Offline meo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 02:16:08 AM »
Hi again!

Just tried the 1.2 version and there is no problem with the colors anymore. So far everything seems to work just as they shall. I have just made an entry in menu.lst in grub so I can start Tiny Core Linux directly from the harddrive. I simply store the boot directory (after burning tcl to a cd/rw) to hda1 and the entry in menu.lst points to this. Thanks for a very nice and cleancut linux distro!

Have fun everyone with TCL,
meo

P.S. I'm posting this from tcl using opera D.S.