WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tiny core mode of opereation  (Read 5216 times)

Offline timremy

tiny core mode of opereation
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:30:41 AM »
 :-[hello

i tried tiny core and it is very nice. i tried the first mode , the cloud/internet mode and

it went smoothly. (sorta)

then i tried the second option, ppr/tce. will nothing worked. i used unetbootin for an

usb flash drive, but after that i am lost.

can someone please give my instructions on what to do with a usb install using the

second option.

thank you

timremy

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: tiny core mode of opereation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:31:10 AM »
Create a directory called "tce" on the flash drive root, then reboot.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline timremy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »
did what you said,

no go

that means with the instructions , given,   it did not work.

timremy

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »
Do you have waitusb=5 in your boot loader spec file?
Use the command showbootcodes to see from a running tinycore system.

From the Core Concepts page:
With either a PPR or PPI one can maintain their collection of extensions on a pendrive, compact flash, or other removable media for maximum portability. Note: For pendrive or other flash based media, you will need to use a special boot code of waitusb=X, where X is the number of seconds to wait for the device to register. Typically, waitusb=5 is sufficient.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline thane

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:41 AM »
From a shell you can do "mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce" to create a tce directory on a USB stick (yours may not be sda1 though).

I've found though that when you create the tce directory using mkdir, TCL doesn't immediately recognize that it's there. I've had to reboot (which is when TCL does an autoscan for a tce directory) to get it to work. There's a post somewhere that describes an additional command you can issue after creating the directory which I think accomplishes the same thing without rebooting. Also there's a bootcode that can automatically create a tce directory.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:53:02 AM by thane »

Offline timremy

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »
everyone who tried to help, thank you.

timremy

Offline thane

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:37:43 PM »
Er, so, was any of it of use?

Offline jls

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:29:07 AM »
........There's a post somewhere that describes an additional command you can issue after creating the directory which I think accomplishes the same thing without rebooting.
maybe u can change the content of /opt/.backup_device to look like this:
sda1/tce
Also there's a bootcode that can automatically create a tce directory.
no
dCore user

Offline thane

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 02:00:33 AM »
no [?]

I was deleting and recreating tce directories so often my recall may be faulty, but it seems to me I once did a boot using bootcodes waitusb=5 tce=sda1 with a new USB stick, and TCL created the directory /mnt/sda1/tce. Usually though I just did a mkdir. There seems to be a difference of opinion on this:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1000.0

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2335.0
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:21:29 AM by thane »

Offline Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:53 AM »
I did not use the earliest versions of Tiny Core. Maybe the tce directory was not automatically created.

With the recent versions of Tiny Core, if you install it on a hard drive or usb drive, and use tce=sda1 bootcode, the tce directory will be automatically created.

timremy, you did not say if you got it working. If you didn't, just select "USB Installation" from the menu (right click). Then run it from the usb drive and install extensions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:19:11 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline timremy

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 02:22:58 AM »
hello

i am sorry for not fully explaining myself.

as of now, i have yet to get it to work.

i am using the cloud option which is pretty cool.

maybe its my system, i run a intel dual core e1500.

will try the rest of the ideas, but after so much failing, its gets a little

depressing. sorta want to take the computer and throw it out the door.

thank you

timremy

Offline Guy

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »
Are these any help?

[removed due to policy violation]/install-usb.html

[removed due to policy violation]/install-programs.html

Also check out the other subjects.

If there are any things you don't understand, ask more questions, and people should help.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 05:55:06 AM »
...will try the rest of the ideas, but after so much failing, its gets a little

depressing. sorta want to take the computer and throw it out the door.
Timremy,
Do not give up.  It is really simple, although it may seem more complicated than it should...
Decide where you want programs to be saved (what device). E.g. it is your usb key and it is sda1. If you boot with tce=sda1 boot code, Tiny Core will create /tce folder there and subsequently what you install will be found without boot code needed.
To install on USB key, I recommend using usbinstall from cloud mode, instead of unetbootin. It is simple, guides you through installation.
A fundamental advantage of usbinstall over unetbootin is that when you specify Zip mode, it will create two partitions, one for TC and the other one will host /tce folder. Tiny Core will find it on subsequent boot .
If you happen to have usb key that can be flipped to hard disk mode (flipping bit), then the second partition will be visible in all systems (such as Windows). Unetbootin is not able to install on HD partitioned usb key, only on usb as removeable drive.
It is very simple and works wonderful...

Offline thane

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
timremy, maybe we should go back to square 1 (well, 2 or 3) here. Not trying to talk down to you but we're all making a lot of assumptions about what's happening.

Since you can boot into cloud mode can I assume you have Tiny Core Linux on a CD? And that you have your USB device plugged in when you boot? And that booting off CD works OK, with no error messages?

Can you see the point in the boot process where you can enter bootcodes? This is the instruction where it says something like 'Press enter, or F2/F3 to enter bootcodes.' At this point you should press F2 or F3.

Type [no quotes] 'tinycore waitusb=10 tce=sda1' and press Enter. This tells Tiny Core to give your USB device time to mount and that you want your tce directory (which you need to save extensions) on your USB device. I'm specifying waitusb=10 in case you have an especially slow device (waitusb=5 is more common but you tried that).

Once the boot process completes you should be at the Tiny Core desktop and see a minimal set of icons at the bottom of the window. The one on the left will give you a terminal window, the middle various utilities, and the right (gear looking thing) is the app browser which lets you load various extensions (web browsers, media players, etc) into the tce directory.

To verify a tce directory exists, start a terminal window and type [no quotes] 'ls /mnt. Among other directories you should see sda1 [or at least sd with a letter and number]. If you don't, your USB device is not mounted. If you do, type 'ls /mnt/sda1/ [or whatever designation your system gives your USB device]. You should see a blue 'tce' directory entry at this point. If you don't, type 'mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce' [again, use the name your system gives your USB device] which should create a tce directory.

Reboot here. When booting, again use the bootcode waitusb=10 so your USB device is mounted. Tiny Core should scan your storage and find the tce directory.

At this point you should be able to download apps and have them automatically stored in your tce directory. Note that this is not the same as installing Tiny Core Linux on the USB device so you can boot from there. That's a separate process which others here are better qualified to help you with. [My PC won't boot from USB and has a clunky hard disk, so I'm still booting off CD and only using USB for storage].

Hope some of this helps!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:27:26 AM by thane »

Offline timremy

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »
hello

finally success.

thank you thane, your instructions were point blank. i only got confused one time.

when i went to  logout, i was not sure what to put in the device block, so i just put

sda1.  this might be simply for some of you, but for me, it is very confusing.

once again, thank you all. it is nice to have a group of people that will

not leave you hanging.

timremy