WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: microcore_2.3RC3  (Read 19469 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: microcore_2.3RC3
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »
Solved! As I suspected,  needed a wait $fstab_pid.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:44:36 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Is there a way to hotkey menu for jwm, like the alt-tab in flwm? (don't know what file the right-click desktop config is in)  Thanks

Offline philip

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »
Here's a suggestion that I hope will be easy for Robert to accept and helpful to others if he does.

Often when a new version of TC/MC is released, it comes with a note about files that have changed in the new release that might conflict with older versions in users' backups. I use grub to boot TC, so I update TC simply by replacing the file 'tinycore.gz' in my boot directory with the new one. (Of course I check that the new kernel matches the previous kernel, too.) When I boot the new version, the material in my backup overwrites the new and improved files just as the release announcement warns. Unfortunately, this makes it difficult to take advantage of the invitation to use the fresh ones. There are probably several ways to access the new files, but here's a simple idea that could beat them all. Could the updated files mentioned in the release announcement be made available for direct download? Maybe they could even be supplied as attachments to the announcement itself in the forums. This change in standard operating procedure shouldn't be too onerous: the developer has a copy of the files on a working new system, and the files involved are usually few in number and small in size.

Thank you Robert and Team TC for your ongoing work. I'm still loving it.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
The updated files are in /etc/skel - you could just boot as normal and then copy them across?

Offline philip

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
Thank you Robert and Team TC for your ongoing work. I'm still loving it.
Thanks also for your patience while educating the user base. I'm still learning, and loving it.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »
/etc/skel holds all the default files needed to setup a new user.
The contents of such are copied into the users HOME directory.

The default backup is the users HOME directory and some of /opt.
The user, of course, also controls the contents of backup.

I do not assume that I can overwrite files in the user's HOME directory.
Besides the backup occurs later so the new files are actually overwritten by such backup.

It is actually best to do a diff on the files that I list as changed but likely in your backup.
I could add an Fltk GUI diff if it is deemed to be needed.

I recommend a diff so as you don't lose any customizations that you may have made.
You can see the differences before you copy over the changed files.

On any new release or released candidate you should boot it at least once with base norestore to see the effects of any changes, as this will ensure that your backup does not overwrite any of tne new files.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »

On any new release or released candidate you should boot it at least once with base norestore to see the effects of any changes, as this will ensure that your backup does not overwrite any of tne new files.

Good advice, just remember to uncheck the "backup box" before rebooting or shutting down or the backup file will end up with changes you may not want. I admit to making this mistake on several occasions.
big pc man

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 02:18:44 AM »

Good advice, just remember to uncheck the "backup box" before rebooting or shutting down or the backup file will end up with changes you may not want. I admit to making this mistake on several occasions.

...which is why it's essential to occasionally backup the backup. There are a lot of ways to lose your backup.