WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_2.4rc1  (Read 17714 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: tinycore_2.4rc1
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »
ALT/ENTER is now minimizing the window again  :'(
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 12:58:41 AM »
2.4rc1 downloaded an hour ago, so it is expected the reuploaded release. There are extensions in /tce, started with norestore waitusb=5 option.

Everything works, but during boot these messages displayed:

(Sorry for the poor image quality, recorded in a dark room with a digital photo camera in hand)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:00:21 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »
"tce-load -i -r -w xonclock" still changes /usr/local/tce.installed to root:root 1600 Jan  1  1970. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:22:05 AM by jpeters »

Offline meo

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 02:31:58 AM »
Hi!

I've been trying the new tinycore 2.4rc1 and I like the path of it's development. Very good work! I had some trouble with using both flit and watcher since they overlapped eachother. I had to make some hacks in /home/tc/.xsession to make it work the way I want it. So now it's OK. The only problems I've experienced besides that is thet there has been some troubles mounting (doenloading) extensions. I've received the message that it went well but while rebooting there have been error messages. Thanks for the good work!

Have fun developing tinycore further,
meo

EDIT: Have found some signs of unstability too. Like: when clicking on logout in the menu just produces the logout options without text, just plain grey (might be my own fault somehow but I wanted to mention it).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:08:07 AM by meo »
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 05:14:09 AM »
2.4rc1 downloaded an hour ago, so it is expected the reuploaded release. There are extensions in /tce, started with norestore waitusb=5 option.

Everything works, but during boot these messages displayed:

(Sorry for the poor image quality, recorded in a dark room with a digital photo camera in hand)
Nothing I can do about read errors. Either media is going bad, or bad download.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 05:18:17 AM »
ALT/ENTER is now minimizing the window again  :'(
Sometimes that happens when two people are working on the same program.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 05:26:58 AM »
Nothing I can do about read errors. Either media is going bad, or bad download.

Possibly. But

• applications are installed and registered in /usr/tce.installed therefore TC found md5 OK
  • checked all md5 manually, they are OK
  • applications are working correctly
  • TC 2.x prior 2.4 using the same media and same extensions do not display such message (first time I see only with 2.4RC1
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:32:41 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »
I see this same error on a clean reinstall of tce directory with 2.4rc1 during boot with the wxgtk being copied to ram.  I will see what I can find.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 07:45:11 AM »
When downloading dependencies a new wget window opened cursor is moved to the top of this window. This is bit annoying when you are doing something else. Do not know is it 2.4 specific or prior version doing the same, just recognized playing with 2.4rc1
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »
Those files are getting an I/O error when trying to read them with any app.  They are apparently corrupt files and I will replace them.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
Those files are getting an I/O error when trying to read them with any app.  They are apparently corrupt files and I will replace them.

Hm... In my case how is it possible that I can verify them and they are getting installed and working?

Will try it with other machines. What is strange that never seen this before 2-4rc1 I know, anything can become faulty any time  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:54:40 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 08:01:23 AM »
The use of copy-to-ram exposes corrupt files and other errors that are not caught by mounting a tcz or untarring a tce.  Rox filer for some reason was a similar case for unknown reasons.  The wxgtk extension has been fixed and reposted. 

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
The use of copy-to-ram exposes corrupt files and other errors that are not caught by mounting a tcz or untarring a tce.  Rox filer for some reason was a similar case for unknown reasons.  The wxgtk extension has been fixed and reposted. 

This is a very interesting limitation. I wonder if there is a remedy.
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »
Not really a limitation as there should be no corrupt files in an extension anyway.  Copy to ram simply exposes them.  The remedy is to have no corrupt files in extensions.  I will post a new extension audit script that will check for corrupted files so they can be caught before submission.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
Not really a limitation as there should be no corrupt files in an extension anyway.  Copy to ram simply exposes them.  The remedy is to have no corrupt files in extensions.  I will post a new extension audit script that will check for corrupted files so they can be caught before submission.
I suppose the more likely problem is going to be that the extensions become corrupt in the /tce directory. Perhaps the extension audit menu tool could also check the "health" of the extensions.
big pc man