WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_2.3RC3  (Read 11582 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tinycore_2.3RC3
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 06:55:22 PM »
Wow! More of the same. Not a question, not this is what I have done, and this is what I am experiencing. Oh no, no respect, just more of the same from the thankless.

FYI .desktop has not been used for several iterations of Tiny Core.

No wonder things don't work for you. You seemed to have not followed up on the "files that have changed" section over the past releases. Therefore you system is not "updated" which I find amusing since you author a script by that name. There should be no .desktop in your .xsession.

I would not post such if such were not the case. I go to extremes to setup equipment and test what I publish. Do I make mistakes. Sure do. But I test and test and test before I publish.

FWIW when reporting problems with the base, one should start with base norestore then add only the component in question. Not mixed in with an out of date existing system. Referencing .desktop cleary indicates an upkept system and you approach in seeking resolution is well, I don't even need to say. It is obvious to all.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »
Running with norestore and jwm.tcz gets same results....it boots flwm and no menu. I can get jwm as posted above.  Like I said, it's probably an easy solution and I have not had the time to check out every possibility...I'm sure I've missed LOTS of iteration details (which doesn't bother me, really...it's better to have a life.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:04:03 PM by jpeters »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
I just tried out 2.3rc3 and could use some clarification on install local. If I'm not mistaken in tc2.2 install optional can install tce to ram or install tcz as a mount point. It's looks like if we end up with only tcz's as extensions then  looking forward with tc2.3rc3 install local does not allow selection of install or mount type of installation. Am I missing something here? The install / mount option appears to only be associated with an immediate install.
I now have install local offering install or mount when a tcz is selected from install local.
It will be in the next release cut.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
Running with norestore and jwm.tcz gets same results....it boots flwm and no menu. I can get jwm as posted above.  Like I said, it's probably an easy solution and I have not had the time to check out every possibility...I'm sure I've missed LOTS of iteration details (which doesn't bother me, really...it's better to have a life.)
Ah, now in your second post some information is revealed that is actually useful.
My post above mentions tces,  jwm.tce jwm-snapshot.tce

Your second post you say .tcz.
A tcz will not overwrite the existing file /etc/sysconfig/desktop
Therein lies your conflict.
Not an issue with v2.3rc3 but another one concerning a tcz extension.
The .tcz will need a startup script or perhaps an entry in tcz2ram.lst
I will investigate the tcz extension further. This is what release candidate cycles are all about.

The proper approach to issue resolution is to supply enough details.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 01:08:14 AM »
OK, that worked; also solved the menu issue. Thanks

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »
I just tried out 2.3rc3 and could use some clarification on install local. If I'm not mistaken in tc2.2 install optional can install tce to ram or install tcz as a mount point. It's looks like if we end up with only tcz's as extensions then  looking forward with tc2.3rc3 install local does not allow selection of install or mount type of installation. Am I missing something here? The install / mount option appears to only be associated with an immediate install.

I now have install local offering install or mount when a tcz is selected from install local.
It will be in the next release cut.
Thanks, version 2.3 will be quite a significant step forward.
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 01:43:47 PM »
Ah, now in your second post some information is revealed that is actually useful.
My post above mentions tces,  jwm.tce jwm-snapshot.tce

Your second post you say .tcz.
A tcz will not overwrite the existing file /etc/sysconfig/desktop
Therein lies your conflict.
Not an issue with v2.3rc3 but another one concerning a tcz extension.
The .tcz will need a startup script or perhaps an entry in tcz2ram.lst
I will investigate the tcz extension further. This is what release candidate cycles are all about.

The proper approach to issue resolution is to supply enough details.

A follow-up..
jwm.tcz
jwm-snapshot.tcz
hackedbox.tcz
fluxbox.tcz
Have all been updated with a startup script for trival desktop selection, i.e., no desktop= needed. Just drop into your PPR tce directory.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »
I'll have to play with jwm-snapshot.tcz a bit; the no background issue again. I'll post over in the extensions area.  Loads fine

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 08:27:30 PM »
Another follow up on drop in window manager support;

openbox.tcz

Has been updated with a startup script for trival desktop selection, i.e., no desktop= needed. Just drop into your PPR tce directory.

icewm.tcz
wmaker.tcz

Already have the startup script and work fine.