WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Custom Application  (Read 5698 times)

Offline chaser

Custom Application
« on: September 16, 2009, 04:16:48 AM »
Hi all,

I love Tiny Core!

I am working with a development team to create a front end for a database and the database itself.
I am looking at rolling thin clients (TC is perfect!) across all stations for the front end but am having trouble finding any info on designing custom applications for TC. If I were to create a program from a development environment  like realbasic (www.realbasic.com) would I be able to run the linux build of this application on Tiny Core?
Do I need to develop in C?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Custom Application
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:49:41 AM »
In order to run a basic program on tinycore, you'd need a basic extension to interpret the program instructions - I'm sure there must be a suitable candidate for someone to submit an extension.

If you compiled a C application, it would run on tinycore as long as any dependent libraries, etc were present.

Is sqlite any use to you?

Offline chaser

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:34 AM »
I am going to use SQLite extensively but not anywhere on the front end, it will just be a thin client front end

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:42:12 AM »
After a quick look at www.realbasic.com, it seems that 1) realbasic is not FOS (so don't expect to see a realbasic.tcz) and 2) you may not need such an extension because realbasic compiles your code to a stand-alone executable.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline robc

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »
Here are the requirements for RealBasic:http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/requirements/

I use RealBasic for most of my server apps. You will need at least cups, glibc2 (should be in the base), and libstdc++ (should be in the base too), if you are building gui apps then you will also need gtk2 and its deps. Other extensions may be required depending on what you put in your app, ie libxml and expat2 if you use xml files/data.

You can just build your app (I actually use windows for this) put it on your linux box with and run it from the CLI. It will tell you which deps are missing.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:47:25 AM »
By FOS I am assuming you mean Free Open Software? Which I am aware Real Basic is not but the product is quite good and worth the minimal fee to purchase. It can save allot of time building apps. I am all ears for free stuff but nothing has really tickled my fancy. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thankyou all I will test this out and report what I find in case anyone else needs help like this.

Offline chaser

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:48:19 AM »
Well that was quite simple...

I just installed anything that looked like it was on this list http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/requirements/ and it worked right away. To launch the app I used the run command but you could as easily use the CLI.

Thanks for the help guys!