WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 2.4 Roadmap  (Read 5508 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
2.4 Roadmap
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
It has been decided by Team Tiny Core to move to a single extension type, the tcz.
This will be implemented starting with v2.4. More announcements to follow both here, regarding the base, and in the 2.x Extension area.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: 2.4 Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »
Sounds good. Is there a timeframe already?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tclfan

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »
Will naming convention change from tcz to tce?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
Name will not change. Still will be tcz. Already many new extensions have been posted only as tcz, therefore those accessing only tce repository are already not seeing new extensions.

With each release of TC/MC many new features and very importantly, bugs are fixed. It is in the best interest for each to upgrade and stay current.

The webpage of the tce repository will not be removed but should be treated as archived. This will happen when 2.4 is released. Web only access to this page will be similar to the v1.x pages.

Support for tces will be removed in 2.4 Appbrowser when run from prior 2.x will display an error message when trying to access the tce repository.

It is important to note, that you are not losing functionality. Each tcz can be loaded into ram, just as the tce did.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »
Sounds good. Is there a timeframe already?
I may issue a v2.3.2 just because I like to get bug fixes out ASAP and many won't touch a release candidate. I expect nearly weekly cuts to coninue as has been the case. I expect 2.4 to have a longer release candidate cycle.

There will be many changes that need to be coordinated, code, webpages and documentation.
Another reason that a likely additional minor release is likely.

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:52:56 AM »
Good morning.

A couple of TC newbie questions regarding this:

1. I have been using .tce files exclusively up till now. Should I redo my /tce folder to contain only the .tcz versions to insure future compatibility?

2. Will mix and match of tce and tcz files in my /tce folder continue to work or does .tce simply stop working  with 2.4?

3. Does the name of the app's folder change from /tce to /tcz when 2.4 is released?

Probably all this will be answered in the upcoming announcements you mentioned. Just wanted to get them on the list.

Extraordinarily cool distribution is TC. It is a pleasure to use.

Best Regards,

sci_fi

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:13 AM »
1. Yes. You should plan to migrate over to tczs.
2. Yes. A mix of tce and tcz both work in a single tce directory.
3. No. No names are going to be changed. Still use tce directory. Extensions will remain tcz

Offline philip

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:18 PM »
It is important to note, that you are not losing functionality. Each tcz can be loaded into ram, just as the tce did.
Great. I like the security of booting from a USB key, then unmounting and unplugging the key so nobody can mess it up. When the time comes (later -- maybe in the release announcement), will you please include a couple of lines describing the format and function of the files tce/tcz2ram.flg and tce/tcz2ram.lst? This will help users like me make the next step. Thanks for everything.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »
As usual, perhaps I was too terse when such was announced for v2.3 in the change log:
* New tcz2ram.flg placed in your tce directory will cause all tczs to be loaded into ram.
* New tcz2ram.lst placed in your tce directory will result in those tczs specified in such be ram loaded.
You can start your migration to all tczs now.
If you wish all tcz2 to be loaded into ram, as current tces do then place the flag tcz2ram.flg in your tce directory. To make such a flag simply

touch /path/to/your/tce/tcz2ram.flg

If you are currently using a mix of tces and tcz then to move to all tczs with the same functionality then simply list each tcz in a simple ascii text file name tcz2ram.lst. Just use any editor to create/make/edit this file in your tce directory.

Note using appbrowser in v2.3, install button on a selected tcz not only loads to ram but also adds the selected item to tcz2ram.lst.

Offline robc

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
If you are currently using a mix of tces and tcz then to move to all tczs with the same functionality then simply list each tcz in a simple ascii text file name tcz2ram.lst. Just use any editor to create/make/edit this file in your tce directory.
When listing these extensions does the actual .tcz need to be included or could I just put the extension name? i.e. cups instead of cups.tcz
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:43:09 AM »
The full name of the extensions and one entry per line, .e.g.,
glib1.tczl
gtk1.tczl

Offline florian

• Home Page
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
a quick tip (that I discovered recently) for those who would migrate fully to tcz already today:
As of today there that are extensions that only available in the tce repo, not tcz. However you can convert those extensions to tcz : load the squashfs-tools extension and then invoke the tce2tcz.sh script which is included in the base.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »
As usual, perhaps I was too terse when such was announced for v2.3 in the change log:
* New tcz2ram.flg placed in your tce directory will cause all tczs to be loaded into ram.
* New tcz2ram.lst placed in your tce directory will result in those tczs specified in such be ram loaded.
You can start your migration to all tczs now.
If you wish all tcz2 to be loaded into ram, as current tces do then place the flag tcz2ram.flg in your tce directory. To make such a flag simply

touch /path/to/your/tce/tcz2ram.flg

Note using appbrowser in v2.3, install button on a selected tcz not only loads to ram but also adds the selected item to tcz2ram.lst.
Are both the flag file and list file required for a "mix" of TCZs or just the lst file?
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 01:50:31 PM »
The flag means all tczs load into ram, whereas, the list lists only tczs to load to ram
Neither flag nor list means anything regarding tces. In a mixed environment the definitions do not change.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
The flag means all tczs load into ram, whereas, the list lists only tczs to load to ram
Neither flag nor list means anything regarding tces. In a mixed environment the definitions do not change.
Perhaps a stupid question but I'm sure I will end up doing it. What happens if I forget to remove the flag file and end up with both a flag and list file in the tce directory. What will take precedence?
big pc man