WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore from SCRATCH - NADA -ZILCH - ZIP - NULL - - - THE BIG BANG!!!  (Read 45446 times)

Offline ScorpKing

Re: TinyCore from SCRATCH - NADA -ZILCH - ZIP - NULL - - - THE BIG BANG!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 07:22:44 AM »
Some of the comments here make me sad. I'm still looking for documentation on how to remove all the GUI stuff. How do I remove extentions and how do I add them? What do I do if I want to use TinyCore to run a small website from a liveCD on my local network? It would be extremely usefull to have a document that explains how everything works in detail. I'd love to contribute to the project but it will take some time to figure everything out first. Where do I start? Btw, I'm in love with TinyCore and a big thank you & well done to those who made it.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 08:16:26 AM »
Some of the comments here make me sad. I'm still looking for documentation on how to remove all the GUI stuff. How do I remove extentions and how do I add them? What do I do if I want to use TinyCore to run a small website from a liveCD on my local network? It would be extremely usefull to have a document that explains how everything works in detail. I'd love to contribute to the project but it will take some time to figure everything out first. Where do I start? Btw, I'm in love with TinyCore and a big thank you & well done to those who made it.

We all have to start somewhere. I started out last December with very little knowledge about TC with some of your same objectives. I used this forum to guide me through all the areas that were new to me. Many times you will find there is no generic documentation that will apply to your specific problem. I have found this forum to be of immense help covering many different subjects that go beyond TC. My advice is to just get started and post questions. You will find forum members will help you.
big pc man

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Some of the comments here make me sad. I'm still looking for documentation on how to remove all the GUI stuff. How do I remove extentions and how do I add them?

when you first boot tc, you have no extensions. i would love if the entire gui was an extension (so long as it was included in the .iso file!) then you'd only need to delete the extension from your "frugal" install (or use a boot code to ignore it on cd) to not load it into ram. gui users would have it just as easy as they do now, non-gui users would have it easier than they do now.

without extensions, tc consists of a bootloader, and bzImage, and tinycore.gz. in other words pretty much everything you see the first time you boot (including the gui) is in tinycore.gz, known as the "core" or the "base."

remastering instructions (on the wiki) tell you how to open up bzImage and tinycore.gz so you can remove things from the base. i realize i haven't answered all your questions, but then i don't know all the answers, so hopefully this is a useful place for you to begin.

(it's also possible to boot: tinycore text to boot into text mode, but that's probably not what you wanted, because all the stuff for the gui is still being loaded into ram and startx will start the gui.)

Offline ScorpKing

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »
So....
I hoped Frink make a miracle and we (i) 'll see rising star - TCFS! But....

So, I'm looking for answers on my question - how tcl make desktop-friendly system? Of course, sound, video, flash, unrar, text editor and fast and little and simple. And beautiful! ;-)

Thanks to Robert and co for this distro!

Offline madshib

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »
This is very interesting!

Has there been anyone tackling the idea of porting TC to other, older platforms....such as the m68k?

I think that those still running Amigas and Ataris could most certainly benefit from a distro of this size and nature!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 07:04:36 AM »
IIRC, those machines lacked a MMU.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:53 AM »
Check recent linux kernel supported arch.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline madshib

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/

Debian developers are currently working on reviving support for the architecture. I am anxious to see this realized, but also am a big fan of the smaller distros, despite my lack of experience with their usage. I have messed with Puppy a bit, but am excited to try Tiny Core. Seeing it's light nature, it could be perfect for older machines. It is exciting to see this type of development.

Linux kernel 2.6 seems to be the last kernel for the architecture sent with Debian 4.0. I have seen "Etch" boot on a 68030(40 mhz) powered Amiga and it is sssllllooooowwww. I recognize it's large by nature though and this plays a big part of that. If I had the knowledge, I'd give it a shot but have been low on time.