WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC 2.4 request - setup keyboard layout for X  (Read 2197 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
TC 2.4 request - setup keyboard layout for X
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:27 AM »
/etc/sysconfig/keymap specifies the requested keymap. Use it to modify keyboard layout in /etc/X11/xorg.conf if file and keyboard section exist before X started; same can be done for Xvesa by the X startup script. In such case kmap boot option would work automatically for X environment.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC 2.4 request - setup keyboard layout for X
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
Would require bigish translation tables. Even the basename of the keymaps is not consistent across all keymaps in X and console.

Xvesa? Could you elaborate? Xvesa can't use X keymaps, and uses console keymaps automatically if loaded by the kmap boot option.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Would require bigish translation tables. Even the basename of the keymaps is not consistent across all keymaps in X and console.

I don't think that any translation table is needed, just copy the string from /etc/sysconfig/keymap and leave it up to the user to enter proper value. If X is used, it will work for terminals also started, only ordinary terminal will not see the config, but that's it.

Xvesa? Could you elaborate? Xvesa can't use X keymaps, and uses console keymaps automatically if loaded by the kmap boot option.

Well, I do not know Xvesa, expected to have a similar option in the config. It looks like I was wrong, sorry.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »
I don't think that any translation table is needed, just copy the string from /etc/sysconfig/keymap and leave it up to the user to enter proper value. If X is used, it will work for terminals also started, only ordinary terminal will not see the config, but that's it.
Ah, so you mean to try to use the kmap option for both console and X, ignoring if it doesn't work for one?

It would work, but I don't see it necessary in the core, because Xorg itself is an extension. A remaster requiring this can easily script it in bootlocal.sh.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.