WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Boot option to define Xserver  (Read 3557 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Boot option to define Xserver
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:28:01 AM »
When Xorg extension is loaded, it overwrites

/etc/sysconfig/Xserver

and sets up Xorg as a default server. It is fine in most cases, however when something goes wrong a boot option to override it with Xvesa setting would make life easier.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:50:30 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Boot option to define Xserver
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
If Xorg config less fails then I think it is best to use the existing boot code of text or superuser.
Both will boot to console and will allow you to run Xorg -config, or otherwise edit an existing one.
It is then easy to type startx when ready.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline helander

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »
I have a related problem. when running TC/MC under VirtualBox (Windows host), conf less Xorg does not work. It's a pitty but I can live with that and use Xvesa instead. However I am working with a multihost setup where I use Xephyr on the master host to provide individual X servers to the slaves. Since Xephyr is part of the Xorg extension it has to be installed and as such writes Xorg into /etc/sysconfig/Xserver.

The best solution to this problem would be to repackage Xephyr and the other server variants in Xorg into individual extensions, but having a bootcode as proposed would also work.

If anyone would have an idea why Xorg conf less does not work in VirtualBox, I would be happy to get feedback on that. My initial guess is that it could have to do that I have no guest os additions installed in VirtualBox.

/Lars

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
Well, Xfce4 is using functions provided by Xorg extension, but works fine Xvesa. When Xorg loaded, it changes /etc/sysconfig/Xserver to Xorg by default. On my notebook Xorg doesn't start however, as the graphic driver (AGP, ... ) is required as a dependency but there are no erason to add it to Xfce4 dep list.

Of course it can be fixed with some backup/script/... tuning, but not plug and play and not trivial for ordinary user. Agree, Xvesa boot option is not elegant and in general I'm against boot options,but it may help.

Other solution is to split up Xorg, or not to override by default /etc/sysconfig/Xserver just because Xorg is loaded.
Béla

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »
What does it depend on from the xorg extension?  There is that "xlibs support" extension.

helander: OT... but with vbox video, xorg attempts to use fbdev which does not work (crashes)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »
What does it depend on from the xorg extension?  There is that "xlibs support" extension.

Starting Xfce4 with xlibs_support and without Xorg installed:

xrdb: not found
libXRes.so.1: can't open shared object file

Expect there are more missing.
Béla