WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dhcp-client not working as expected with hermes I ?!  (Read 11845 times)

Offline wurstbrot

dhcp-client not working as expected with hermes I ?!
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »
HI,

iwconfig is working (set key and ESSID, get AP MAC, display link quality) but dhcp-client fails to get an IP. ifconfig eth1 up works also, but no IP is assigned. Loaded modules: orinoco_cs, orinoco, hermes.

do I have to get dhcpcd seperately? or dhclient? Or what is the green LED in the pannel for? Will try to assign IP manually and report back. ..Nope. Have assigned IP manually but couldn't ping AP at 192.168.1.1. Something is strange.

It's one of those old PCMCIA cards with hermes I chipset.

This is Tinycore 1.0rc6 .

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:08:24 PM by wurstbrot »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: dhcp-client not working as expected with hermes I ?!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
Works fine for me. I am using an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA on an "original netbook" the 10" TP240.

1. boot with nodhcp option  ( we don't want a udhcpc running when we are not ready).
2. Be sure to have both wireless-2.6.26.tcem and wireless-tool.tcel loaded,
3. As root manually type the commands (or best add these command to /opt/bootlocal.sh)

/sbin/modprobe orinoco_cs
/usr/local/sbin/iwconfig eth0 key xx:xx:xx:xx essid YYYYYY
/sbin/udhcpc -i eth0
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
Is step 1 necessary?  I would've thought that it wouldn't be running if the modules weren't even loaded yet.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:02:21 PM »
It is possible to have a wired eth0 port on which you might have a hanging dhcp request waiting to time out. This is more likely with the latest mods that load wired ethernet modules.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline wurstbrot

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:19:32 AM »
Thx, now works. Step 1 IS absolutely necessary. This did the trick. My card is eth1,BTW. Is udhcpc preconfigured to use eth0 ??! Also, sidenote, bootoption nodhcp is not listet in the helpscreen when you press F2 (live cd).

May I suggest opening a place in the forum for wireless problems? I come over from Puppy and we have the experience that the more users are joining, everybody is asking:
- which module do I need and can so compile for me?
- which WPA supplicant options to use?
and the alike. Everybody is asking the same questions. May be useful to have all these answers in one place.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »
we don't want a udhcpc running when we are not ready

edit: i assume it should be just as good to kill udhcpc as using a boot option?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:51:55 PM by tobiaus »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
May I suggest opening a place in the forum for wireless problems? I come over from Puppy and we have the experience that the more users are joining, everybody is asking:
- which module do I need and can so compile for me?
- which WPA supplicant options to use?
and the alike. Everybody is asking the same questions. May be useful to have all these answers in one place.
That might be a good idea - BTW the b43 module in the wireless-2.6.26.tcem extension works well with my dell 1450 mini-pci card (aka broadcom 4309) after following the firmware cutter instructions at http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Offline wurstbrot

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »
[...] after following the firmware cutter instructions at http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Sorry this is getting OT but I have to comment on the 'firmware issue'. The whole idea behind is, that manufactorers want be able to download firmware 'on the fly' to your computer (without ack, edit: if you are using Win or OSX) to update their buggy code; to be able to release it before it is major. That's a shame, IMHO.  Nobody asked for that 'feature'.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:23:54 PM by wurstbrot »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
I didn't think that was the issue - rather that broadcom has decided not to release driver details to the linux community and so the firmware cutter is required in order to reverse engineer things so that they work with linux.

..and this is also the reason why I did not make an extension of the b43 firmware - it would not exactly be GPL...