Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Easy to Install Version

(1/8) > >>

Guy:
Just an idea. I would be interested to know what others think.

Some people are saying they are having difficulty installing Tiny Core. There are no-doubt others who give up and don't say anything, and others who don't even try because it appears too difficult.

It may be a good idea to make an "Easy to Install iso." That is an iso with a tce folder and extensions.

It could include all of the easiest programs for new users.

For example, GParted for partitioning, Xfe file manager and Leafpad text editor.

It could have Grub already setup in the correct directory, and have menu.lst already there with examples (hashes in front which could be unhashed).

All that new users would need to do is:
Run GParted to set up partitions.
Copy the contents of the CD to the hard drive using Xfe.
Use Leafpad to edit menu.lst.
Set up the master boot record.

It could also include everything needed to run usbinstall.

I am not saying do away with the existing, but have an additional easier option for new users.

What are the thoughts of others?

alu:
i don't have anything against it, but i don't find it very useful since loading the core, mkdir a tce directory and downloading apps to it is just two steps more in the process, which is almost the same as what you have to do while using ubuntu and wanting, say, skype (editing sources.list and apt-get install). from my point of view, i find tc easier to load and run than every other distros because you don't have to do nothing (unless you have to run it from a usb/external drive, but i assume that new users having to do that know the basics in order to syslinux their usb or to grub it). i think where you are right is that most new users to tc don't understand how to make extensions and personal preferences persistent over boots. i see it as a minor point and not a show stopper for new users since it is well documented in the site. from this point of view, a readme.txt or html file could be added to the f2 and f3 files in order to give at boot a little help saying in vernacular langage how to get your preferences and extensions persiste over boots.

roberts:
FYI I made some changes to the site's webpages.

Changed installation page (install.html).
* Including a note that a new partition is not needed if installing to an existing Linux/Grub system.
* Changed the resulting "cloud mode" of these instructions to PPR mode, by added the creation of a tce/ directory and empty mydata.tgz in Step 5.
* Added a note about when waitusb=5 will likely be needed in Step 6.

Changed faq.html
* Dropped nolocal boot code.
* Added noautologin boot code.

Changed index.html
* Dropped reference to including jwm
* Added mention of  Micro Core

Changed concepts.html (mostly regarding PPI changes)
* Dropped clauses about nolocal
* Added clauses about requiring PPI Compatible extensions
* Added note about when waitusb would likely be required.

roberts:
You don't really need to manually make directories and set permissions.
You don't need to dedicate a partition to use Tiny Core or Micro Core.

The method that I was trying to explain under a barrage of rants is to use the CD.

Note the Installation Guide states, at Step 0.

--- Quote ---It assumes that TC was booted from a liveCD and is already running on the target system with Internet access.
--- End quote ---

It is important to explore Tiny Core's capabilities by booting the CD first. To blindly make a CD and then install is not the best way to try the various boot options. That way the user would not know what options to type when the Installation Guide says:

--- Quote ---Optionally, add other bootcodes now on the kernel line separated by spaces.
--- End quote ---
Most never bother to explore Tiny Core, but instead enter nothing at this Step 6. Of course they ended up with a Cloud Mode installation.

As I stated, I have now changed Step 5 to "make the decision" that this is a PPR autoscan mode of installation.

By the way, the easiest by far is to let the CD booting do the work for you. By booting with the CD
boot: tinycore hda1=tce restore=hda1

The tce directory is automatically made and the backup file and its location is set.
Could not be easier than that. No editor needed. No file manager needed.
Just a clear head without preconceived notions to accept that it is THAT easy.

Note too that the booting CD with boot code of home=hda1 will automatically make /home/tc on hda1 or if this is an already existing linux system, will simply add tc/ under the existing /home directory. The home directory will be completely setup for persistency.

Same goes for opt=hda1. By simply using the boot code on a new system will automatically create and setup /opt for persistency.

Can't boot from a CD, then you must know how to edit your bootloader config file to achieve the same effects.

Merciless:

--- Quote from: roberts on August 30, 2009, 07:37:21 AM ---FYI I made some changes to the site's webpages.

Changed installation page (install.html).
* Including a note that a new partition is not needed if installing to an existing Linux/Grub system.
* Changed the resulting "cloud mode" of these instructions to PPR mode, by added the creation of a tce/ directory and empty mydata.tgz in Step 5.
* Added a note about when waitusb=5 will likely be needed in Step 6.

Changed faq.html
* Dropped nolocal boot code.
* Added noautologin boot code.

Changed index.html
* Dropped reference to including jwm
* Added mention of  Micro Core

Changed concepts.html (mostly regarding PPI changes)
* Dropped clauses about nolocal
* Added clauses about requiring PPI Compatible extensions
* Added note about when waitusb would likely be required.

--- End quote ---

roberts,
I think there might be an error on the page "install.html" or I am misreading it.  Step 6 says to:
cp -p /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/* /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/
However, on the version i have, there is no directory "/usr/lib/grub."  This might be a stale wiki page.

I'm using the newest released version: tinycore_2.3.1.iso

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version