WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Monitor resolution  (Read 6737 times)

Offline JohnJS

Monitor resolution
« on: December 20, 2008, 08:27:04 AM »
Hi all,
Using rc7 and new acquisition, a Gateway P4 2ghz 256ram, cannot adjust screen resolution. Any other than 640x480 results in weird colors.  TC works perfectly on my P2 and P3.
P4 has Intel I82845G/GL BrookdaleG video. Been searching Google but they refer to other OSes.
Any suggestions.
PS computer had WinXP on it previously.
All I know about Linux is through help from all at DSL and of course roberts.
Thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Monitor resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:36:15 AM »
Your BIOS does not give the video card enough ram to operate in higher resolutions. This is a known thing in many Intel integrated chipsets, you need a native driver (Xorg) instead of a Vesa driver to allocate more video ram.

Before getting Xorg you seem to also need to add this to your bootlocal.sh, because the Intel driver does not load these automatically:
modprobe agpgart
modprobe intel-agp
modprobe drm
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline JohnJS

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:49:18 AM »
Thanks curaga will give it a go.
Edit: In the interim I loaded SUSE 10.1  (6 disks) which I had laying around. It had xorg.
The P4 resolution works fine.
Will attempt  TC with xorg over the holidays.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:58:05 AM by JohnJS »

Offline JohnJS

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
Working on xorg for my P4 Intel chip.
Now I get "not valid restore/backup device". Tried by using cfdisk (from DSL) and starting from scratch but still get this message.

Using 1.07.
Edit:
Sorry re-booted using base eliminated that problem.
Edit:
Fixed the backup problem. My mistake on boot.
As far as monitor resolution:
With boot: tinycore vga=normal dma restore=hda3.
The fonts are fine. Actually look like 1024x768  or higher but the colors are not correct. Reds are now blue. taskbars are green.
This is the situation without attempting Xorg and dep files. Is there a way to correct the colors without Xorg?.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:07:01 PM by JohnJS »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
Did you try any other tinyx servers, ie xfbdev?  I believe there was a specific setup for i81x chips, though I'm not sure whether or not it applies to yours (looks like the updated version of them)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:36:12 AM »
I tried Xi810 (or whatever its called) and it wouldn't work at all for my i855 graphics chipset. So far, after many attempts only the full X has worked properly

Offline florian

• Home Page
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Perhaps you can use the 915resolution utility to work around the Intel video bios issues. I have submitted this tool as a tce, so it should be available in the extension repository very soon.

For instance I started installing tinycore on my Eee PC 701 netbook and was stuck at 640x480 with the default XVesa server. Xorg worked well, but I prefer to use XVesa in the general case because it's lighter! Using 915resolution I'm able to use 840x480 even without loading up the full blown xorg  ;D

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
I have been plagued by the intel onboard video issues, and look forward to trying this tool.  Don't get me wrong, I am happy we have full Xorg, but I am also  a fan of XVesa/Xfbdev and like to be able to make do with them when I can.