WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: gimp cannot take screenshots (how did kagashe?)  (Read 8707 times)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
gimp cannot take screenshots (how did kagashe?)
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:45:17 AM »
it appears kagashe took a screenshot: (using gimp?) http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=275.0

however in rc7 (and an earlier version like rc3 or rc4) i was unable to create a screenshot using the gimp.tczl (i also tried installing the .tcel version after that.) gimp seems to run but on screenshot gimp just stops. i tried clicking windows and the desktop (although i set it to whole screen) and that made no difference. i tried just capturing one window, it did the same thing.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: gimp cannot take screenshots (how did kagashe?)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:51 AM »
It's possible the old gtk1 version of GIMP - 1.2.5 - may have bugs. Mtpaint and the included imlib2 utility (in the menu) should be able to take screenshots.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
Mtpaint and the included imlib2 utility (in the menu) should be able to take screenshots.

oh, of course! thanks. edit: i just tried the util in the menu. i had just downloaded and run rc7 to make certain the two bugs i reported were not outdated. it's actually a very nice little util.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:40:16 AM by tobiaus »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:42:29 AM »
I'll try to have a look at gimp in the next few days - note that the screenshot gimp takes could be large and thus there may be a memory issue...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »
maybe, although it's never been a problem in a similar gimp extension in dsl (larger image) on the same machine.

it would be nice to see even a slightly newer version of gimp. though i'm totally with you on the whole- it's for tinycore, so we added a tiny version- philosophy.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
..I thought I'd taken the newest version of gtk1 gimp (but maybe not) - if we move to the gtk2 gimp, the extension becomes much, much larger in size and depends on a whole bunch of stuff...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
if we move to the gtk2 gimp, the extension becomes much, much larger in size and depends on a whole bunch of stuff...

it's probably more a matter of which recent gtk1 gimp version is the most reliable then. i hate that from version to version of an application  minor things like this might be an issue, but at least you know there are good odds it's nothing you did.

edit: just for haha's i downloaded gimp.dsl and untar.gz'ed it to / (i know one should never do this, but it's the first time i have since a fresh toram boot and besides, i got inkscape running that way- it needed libstdc from tcel.)

then i ran /usr/bin/gimp ... same problem (though that version of gimp runs) it's as though something needed for screenshots was missing from dsl. but if you said this wasn't the biggest deal, i would agree. it's just curious.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:14:42 AM by tobiaus »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
Juanito: 1.2.5 is the last gtk1 version I believe. Why not have both, a gtk1 and a gtk2 version available? Then users can pick either the light, but dated one, or latest 2.6.x for gtk2 with all the bling.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »
it appears kagashe took a screenshot: (using gimp?) http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=275.0
I never said I used GIMP to take the screenshot. I used the utility from tools menu.

When you use this utility it confuses you since you don't get any "message" that the sreenshot has been taken but you can find the scrrenshot with Month/Date/Time in the file name.

I used GIMP to insert the TC Logo on the image and that is why you can see its icon on wbar.

kagashe

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
it's probably more a matter of which recent gtk1 gimp version is the most reliable then. i hate that from version to version of an application  minor things like this might be an issue, but at least you know there are good odds it's nothing you did.
When it comes to an application like Gimp, though, added dependancies might be worthwhile.  There is a huge difference is the usefulness of Gimp 2.4 compared to gimp 1.2, just as there is a huge difference between Photoshop 3 and Photoshop 4 (They're both old, but after PS 4 there haven't been a ton of improvements that I'd consider  groundbreaking apart from the save-for -web in PS 5.5)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »
I just re-built gimp and verfied the screenshot problem is still there - a window appears titled "gimp message" but it is blank, so it is a little hard to figure out what's missing.

I did not compile against graphics-libs1, but I can't image the lack of tiff, gif or otherwise is the problem - I'll keep searching and also start thinking about gimp2...

Edit - I see the error now - "LibGimp-WARNING **: screenshot: wire_read: unexpected EOF" and "LibGimp-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read: unexpected EOF". I feel this is something to do with perl (or the lack thereof...)

Edit2 - NOTICE:  unable to use the Perl-Gtk interface. Many features (like
         Gimp::Fu) rely on this extension. You can build without it (and
         many scripts will be disabled or run with reduced functionality
         only), but it's better to install it (version 0.6123 or higher is
         required, you can get it from ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gtk/perl/ or
         any CPAN mirror.

So - not only does the gimp-1.2.5 screenshot depend on perl, it also depends on a (large) perl module. I therefore vote to leave things as they are for now..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:43:40 AM by Juanito »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »
So - not only does the gimp-1.2.5 screenshot depend on perl, it also depends on a (large) perl module. I therefore vote to leave things as they are for now..

yeah, especially when there is such a feature in mtpaint and another included with tc. perl just for a screencap is a bit much.