WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: usb install tce paths - newbie alert!!!  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Willbo

usb install tce paths - newbie alert!!!
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:36:28 AM »
This is my first linux thing ever so im not sure what im doing [but i am thoroughly enjoying learning the ropes!!], but anyway here goes...

i used the live cd and the "sudo usbinstall" thing to install TC on my usb drive and in "usbinstall" i told it to boot with these boot options;

waitusb=5
tce=sda1/tce/custom
backup=sda1/tce/custom/br
restore=sda1/tce/custom/br

I wasn't sure what to do with the /home/tc thing so i didnt put anything about it...

The first problem is my extensions and "mydata.tgz" went to "sda1/tce/" NOT "sda1/tce/custom/..."

Although my apps and settings were still there after reboot, so its not too bad...

First Question; Should i have created those directories [custom and br] before booting to make sure my settings and stuff was put into the correct folders?

Anyway, I was happy enough, coz my apps and stuff stayed. So i took my usb stick on the road to help me out at work and stuff...

The next problem was that when i plugged it into a "foreign" pc, it became "sdb1" not "sda1" due to the other devices that were plugged in, i guess.

So none of my apps or setting were restored, in fact i couldn't backup or restore anything, even when i tried to change the paths using the control panel "Backup/Restore" tool...

Second Question; What did i do wrong?

Third Question; How do boot options cope with changes in "mount points" ??  [if "mount points" is what i just described above, EG sda1]

Do i have to change my boot options every time a new pc gives me a different mount point??

Does it depend on the boot loader??

If there are (m)any underlying assumptions i  have got wrong, anything im missing, or just some basic misconceptions etc etc Please help me out, as TC seems to be exactly what i need [if ive understood right] but i cant get it set up right...

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks for TC!!!

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: usb install tce paths - newbie alert!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:03:04 AM »
See FAQ item: http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#pendrives

Note; If you used the usbinstall withing Tiny Core then, UUIDs were already detected and used in configuring both your backup and tce directory. This will ensure that backup and extensions will be found.

Use Panel and System Stats Boot tab to see your boot codes, or from the command line with showbootcodes.

If you setup your pendrive manually or overwrote the UUID setup from usbinstall then you will experience what you have described.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Willbo

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »
Thank you very much.

I had read that FAQ thing before, but as i didnt know what a UUID was, i didn't know how helpful it was...

I have re-installed, [i'm writing this from my new install) but i as i was about to shutdown, i went to the restore/backup thing in the control panel and it showed the address "sdb1"

Should i change it to "UUID=..."  or will this path [in the control panel backup utility] automatically change if my mount point changes at some time in the future [to sda1 for example]??

thanks again...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:25:49 AM »
No need to change it. The UUID in the boot options takes care of it.
It may appear as different devices depending on boot order/machine, but will be the correct device for backup/restore and tce
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Willbo

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »
I have another question connected with boot options...

When i boot my usb stick, i can find no place to enter boot options, such as "norestore" "base" or "desktop=..." or whatever boot code i need to go into cloud mode...

Do i have to manually add these to "syslinux.cfg" myself OR is it possible to enter these codes somewhere during boot up??

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »
Doesn't syslinux prompt you to hit TAB to edit an entry?

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator

Offline Willbo

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »
thanks for your quick replies... but im afraid my thick-headedness knows no bounds...

to gerald: no, syslinux doesn't prompt me to press TAB, and doing so did nothing...  Neither did Shift or Alt, as mentioned on the syslinux page...  :-/

to ^thehatsrule^: I guessed i'm supposed to put that "prompt" thing in the syslinux.cfg??

Well, whether i should or not, i did. But i could not get a "boot:" prompt....

Does it matter where i put it? [if indeed it should be put in syslinux.cfg]

Thanks again for your help.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »
According to that link, it should be "prompt 0" or "prompt 1"

Shift/alt is used for "prompt 0"
It will always display for "prompt 1"

I don't think it matters where you put it, but if that still doesn't help.. you can attach your config

Offline Willbo

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:09:38 AM »
Done.

Thank you all very much for your help.