WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xlib's "Generic Event Extension" warning message (harmless)  (Read 6033 times)

Offline florian

• Home Page
Xlib's "Generic Event Extension" warning message (harmless)
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
Hi, I'm (happily!) using MC2.2 + Xvesa.core. Many X programs I use displays the following message on their stdout:
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0"

Note, this is NOT an actual a problem as all my programs runs well anyway. I googled for this warning message but didn't find a clear explanation. What's the cause of this?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:30:40 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Xlib's "Generic Event Extension" warning message (harmless)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Yes, it can be safely ignored (iirc there was a upstream patch removing the message)

Generally it's because the X libs are newer than the X server... specifically, in TC, the libs have this extension support in while the server doesn't (comes from libXext).

... and if you use Xorg it'll have that support
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:47:45 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:06 PM »

... and if you use Xorg it'll have that support

It's there with Xorg also.   

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
Well.. I suppose different setups may have different results but by default that's what happens.

[renaming this thread to indicate that it's harmless]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:30:17 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline JoXo009

How to get rid of that harmless warning
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:40:53 AM »

When using aterm to start the file manager xfe I get that Xlib-warning:

I know, the warning is harmless. But even if harmless, that warning prevents usage of aterm as console in beginner guides.

I tried to install Xorg. But that didn't help.

I suppose a sed filter could suppress the warning, but I don't know where to place the filter - a pipe sed exactly after the xfe call didn't work.

--------
Is there any other way to get rid of that warning?

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:59:31 AM »
The warning is not what is locking the aterm, it is the fact that you are running xfe from inside it.  The way to run a program from within an aterm while still being able to use the aterm is to background the program like this:
Code: [Select]
xfe &

The harmless warning will mask the usable prompt, but simply hitting enter will show you a usuable prompt again in the aterm.

Offline JoXo009

How to get rid of the Xlibs-warning
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:03:09 AM »

Thanks, Kingdomecome. It's true, calling xfe without '&' prevents further aterm input.

Unfortunately that's not my problem but just the aterm behaviour I want to create. And it's working fine.

After starting the below xfeAndConsole-script from aterm, aterm works as report console - if the line without '&' is used and the other outcommented.

You can write Shell scripts with xfw, store and start them in xfe with double-click - and aterm reports your echo output immediately. Fine so far.

-----------
But what's anoying are these Xlib-warnings. Within a beginners guide it doesn't help that they dissapear with a simple 'clear'.

For a beginner they create a barrier, as a beginner will get the impression of having done something wrong and better leave my tutorial.

So I need a way to get rid of these warnings.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
It is a forced warning in libXext. It was added for Xorg 7.4, and removed just because of user annoyance (and a harmless thing being reported as error). However the removal happened after 1.0.5, which happens to be the latest stable version available (and the one we have in the base).

We do not wish to use beta/alpha versions in the base; thus the only thing left would be to cherry-pick the patch from git and rebuild 1.0.5.

It's extra work for little gain, and I'm booked. You are free to go on regardless :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
I've just tried Xorg with xfe and it goes away - perhaps it wasn't installed properly.

Also, "exec command &" doesn't really make much sense...?  The message is likely on stderr (which is why a pipe by itself wouldn't do anything).  If you don't need stderr, you can simply redirect it to null.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »
^thehatsrule^,
Using Xorg inside of VBox with the guest additions still causes that error to be displayed.  I know its totally harmless, but would you be willing to attach a copy of your Xorg.0.log when the error is not displayed so that I may compare with with my log?  tia

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
There has been a new release of libXext. The warning will be gone some time after Xorg 7.5 ships.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.