WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: configuring wicd on tc2.2  (Read 2872 times)

Offline alanbcohen

configuring wicd on tc2.2
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:26 AM »
All the discussions about Atheros connections and wicd center around windows drivers, which I don't have.  I do have a working linux distro on the same machine that connects without problems.  But the names of the settings bear little resemblance to the wicd settings.  I'd appreciate some translations from English to English, please.  My other distro (PCLOS, which uses the Mandriva Control Center) reports Atheros AR2413 802.11bg NIC as the hardware.  My Operating mode is 'Managed' and Encryption mode ia 'Open WEP'.  and 'Automatic IP (BOOTP/DHCP)' is turned on.  My Encryption key is a ten digit number and does not have the 'Force ASCII string'  turned on.
Hopefully, this will make sense to somebody out there.  Up to now, I have had to download extensions from my other distro, copy them into my /tce directory and pray I haven't missed any dependencies (and that they are all listed on the dep page).

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: configuring wicd on tc2.2
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
I know you are asking about wicd which I don't use, however, it is typically not difficult to establish a WEP connection.

Step 1: Become root
$ sudo su

Step 2: Check to see if your wireless is detected
# iwconfig

Hopefully you will see a wlan0, ath0, eth? If, so, then using that detected device...

Step3: Configure your wireless device with name and key
# iwconfig wlan0 essid "your_wireless_ssid_name" key 0123456789

Step 4: Request an IP
# udhcpc - wlan0

If the above works, then add the commands from Steps 3 & 4 to /opt/bootlocal.sh

This has worked on eeepc 701, eeepc 900a, and eeepc S101. And no, I don't own all of these, but have helped friends who do.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: configuring wicd on tc2.2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »
Try the wireless_mod extension, which works with atheros drivers. Useage is in the info file.