WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xvesa instead of tiny x  (Read 13134 times)

Offline ghead

Xvesa instead of tiny x
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »
What's the possibility of using xvesa with a resolution/bit depth selection in the control panel instead of tiny x. I realize it would make the iso a bit larger but it would provide better X support for more systems.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Xvesa instead of tiny x
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:08:11 AM »
Uhhh.. They are mostly the same thing. We have only Xvesa in the core, it's always been that way.

TinyX is a collection of small X servers, Xvesa is one of them.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
Uhhh.. They are mostly the same thing. We have only Xvesa in the core, it's always been that way.

would he have more luck maybe with the xvesa.tce from xorg 7.1 in the appbrowser?

Offline ghead

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
Perhaps "mostly" is the key word. DSL and Slitaz both setup quickly on all of my systems. TCB seems to use 256 colors and there doesn't appear to be any easy way, as on the other distributions, to modify it.

p.s.
I don't think the condescending "uhhh" is either warranted or called for. I make no pretense at expertise but I have successfully installed and used a significant number of Linux distributions starting with Red Hat 5.2.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
Xvesa.tce in the extension area is of the same version as the one in Slitaz, built from xorg-server-1.2.0.  It is a different build, just same version.  It should have the same functionality as the one in Slitaz, numlock LED and all, and should be configurable through the Xvesa setup tool.  I would like to know if there are any issues with it versus other Xvesas.

The larger Xvesa, as well as Xfbdev, remain as extensions because of their size even though the newer Xvesa may support more hardware, and some laptops will not do X at all without Xvfbdev.  The same principle applies to wireless.  The purpose of the base iso, of course, is to function as a launchpad to build your own system tailored to your needs.  Some essentials will have to be loaded as extensions.  We try to support as much hardware as possible, just not through the base system.  This degree of modularity takes some getting used to, but it has it's advantages.  Hope this helps.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
p.s.
I don't think the condescending "uhhh" is either warranted or called for. I make no pretense at expertise but I have successfully installed and used a significant number of Linux distributions starting with Red Hat 5.2.

without knowing exactly why he said that either, i doubt he intended it to sound condescending. i'm sure it's easier to take it that way when you're asking a question and someone is already contradicting you, but that happens a lot with people that work on something all the time. they get used to things being exactly as they think they are (and often they're right.) i hope you will try the .tce extension and see if that helps. i'm really very curious about this myself.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »
Your question was confusing... at least to me (probably due to the fact that xvesa is a part of the tinyx suite).  Please remember that this is a public forum, so interpreting messages 'lightly' in general would be helpful.

There is an included tool to configure xvesa called xsetup.sh.  [EDIT: looks like its under Tools > Xvesa Setup].  By default though, it tries to use 32-bit depth, so there's probably some kind of incompatability between this version of  xvesa, the config, and your system.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:33:12 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:38:45 AM »
I apologize if there was any sound of condescence in my post. If there was any, it was not aimed at you, so please don't take it like that.

Please try to understand; it sometimes gets tiresome that people do not search / google at all. If a is a part of b, asking why b instead of a is kind of.. well, not thoughtful towards other forum members.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 07:13:24 AM »
as i said, i don't think you were being condescending.

however, i can't agree this applies here:
it sometimes gets tiresome that people do not search / google at all. If a is a part of b, asking why b instead of a is kind of.. well, not thoughtful towards other forum members.

it takes certain knowledge as a foundation to know what to google for. obviously googling for xvesa / tinyx would do no good. googling for xvesa is part of: also useless.

the problem is there are two different versions. your retort (it's factual) is they are "mostly" the same. and yet there is another version as a tce- the one we recommended- that is probably what he needs. there's no way he could have guessed enough of the necessary information to google. it seems obvious to you because you're already more familiar. i only thought of it because i took it upon myself to look at every extension, and i've read every post on this forum.  to google-is-your-friend i add, google-is-not-magical.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »
it takes certain knowledge as a foundation to know what to google for. obviously googling for xvesa / tinyx would do no good. googling for xvesa is part of: also useless.
Sometimes, yes, but googling just "xvesa" and clicking on the first result (XFree86 manpage) would have the explanation ("Name
Xvesa - VESA Bios Extensions tiny X server" .. "Besides the normal TinyX server's options (see TinyX(1) ), Xvesa...")

Offline wurstbrot

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
[...]it sometimes gets tiresome that people do not search [...] at all.[...]

Sorry, but accusing 'some people' for 'something' doesnt help at all. The other way round, this induces an attitude of 'if-you-cant-findout yourself you're dull'. If you are bothered by newbie questions, just don't answer them. That's all.

edit: typo.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:40:50 PM by wurstbrot »

Offline andrewb

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
OK,

I've redone the wiki page for using the framebuffer contained in TinyX that I originally put on the DSl wiki. it is at:
http://tinycorelinux.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Display+modes

I tried to put in under the FAQ section in the wiki, but it ended up as a new page & so isn't linked directly off any of the existing pages.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
@general thread: Please stop - pushing around a misinterpreted subject is just going to clutter this thread.  If anyone still has issues, please take it up with those in concern, or start another thread.

@andrewb: looking good

EDIT: FYI, the FAQ section can be only be changed by moderators, but suggestions/comments are allowed.  But I think it's better to keep longer items as a regular page, anyways.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:25:33 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline ke4nt

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
andrewb,

That wiki page you posted in about non-standard vga modes ( libretto, for instance ) is some nice-2-know info.
Thanks for sharing.

ke4nt
....The CORE Lives....