WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core Linux Finds A New Home!  (Read 628 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Tiny Core Linux Finds A New Home!
« on: September 28, 2022, 08:54:35 PM »
The websites for the TCL wiki and forum had to be relocated (they're now on a DreamHost account) and the backups implemented will
have up-to-date content through SEP 27, 2022 13:00 EST. Any posts, attachments and new user accounts which took place between
our backup time and SEP 30 6AM EST, those new items will be lost and will require them to be reapplied.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope this transition has been as smooth as possible for everyone!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:59:36 AM by CentralWare »

Offline lhaley42

Re: Tiny Core Linux Finds A New Home!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 06:02:49 AM »
Thank you Thank you!

And pre-assuming that this posts in one try, Thank You again!
Lexi

Offline Greg Erskine

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 01:03:15 PM »
Thanks everyone involved in getting this done.  ;D

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 08:41:41 PM »
@LHaley42: I cannot promise "posts in one try" yet; there's a lot of patches the forum software has been through in the last number of years which forum.tinycore hasn't been able to utilize; this is on my To-Do in the days to come after I've sat down with the SMF software and experimented a little further as to what she CAN do and CANNOT; then see what the upgrades fix in the CANNOT field and what's left for me to do from scratch.

@Greg Erskine: You're very welcome!  I've been on the side-lines here at TCL as a member for about a decade; the idea that we could have LOST a huge chunk of the help, support and data we've collected over that time...  well, thankfully it didn't have to come to that!

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 10:45:24 PM »
NOTICE!

I just received a 505 error!!  I was replying to a quote within a quote (etc!) and added some text modifications to my response and hit POST...
I've grown used to some of the quirks SMF forum software brings to the table, so before I hit POST I'll copy the message onto the clipboard and
after the error, tried to resubmit the message and it failed a second (and third!) time.

This time, I pasted it into a text editor (stripping all of the formatting) and then copy/pasted it back into the forum - it submitted fine this time.
There's a chance this is a known issue and has been fixed years ago; we'll know in the days to come with Tiny Core gets overdue updates!

Offline patrikg

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 10:15:46 AM »
A trick up my sleeve.
I am doing like this:
You can press <SHIFT><CTRL><V> to paste into the web browser with out any formatting.
If you only press <CTRL><V> you paste into the window with formatting.
But I don't know if this is the way of doing.
You can also check that it also applies to you.

One thing more, there is some quirks about the Unicode character set, in some programs.
Maybe this is only because isn't supporting unicode. As multiple characters for one character.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:48:14 AM by patrikg »

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 10:41:28 AM »
With websites, desktop apps, etc., I've experienced over the years one thing :: trust your eyes!  With certain operating systems, well, one in particular, I trust even less. :)

My main workstation has four monitors.  When I'm doing anything "code" related I have a text editor (Geany) open on the bottom-left screen to do things like copy/paste confirmation all the way down to highlighting an entire web page (source) and dumping it for search/replace which helps with stripping Windows Line Feeds (\r\n) and/or Linux' (\n) and reorganizing tab/spacing...  little things that are big annoyances to me and make things easier for my eyes and brain to process.

It's just a matter of preference. :)

OH...  there's also browser differences.  For example, when I'm on the forum here in FireFox, the WYSIWYG editor when you reply or post something has some strange quirks.  For example, if I type a line and press <ENTER> and then type a second line, they merge into one.  To actually move down a line in the post itself, I have to <ENTER> twice.  To create an empty line between, <ENTER> three times.  Bullets, code/quote, etc. take a little more finesse as I'm not much of a mouse person.

Offline patrikg

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 10:53:19 AM »
With talking about "easier for my eyes and brain to process." now I more and more switching to the dark side  :).
On the web, on my phone and on my computer os and choice of editor, as we speak is sublime text.
And thank you for letting my woodpecker back. It's symbolic for some type of hacker. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:56:29 AM by patrikg »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 11:24:13 AM »
Hi CentralWare
I use the non-WYSIWYG mode of the editor. When I want to see what my post
will look like, I just click the  Preview  button.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2022, 08:06:16 PM »
[LOL] I never spent any time "tweaking" my user profile before these past few days; I didn't realize there was an on/off switch for the WYS Editor!  (To make matters worse, when it's turned off, you don't really NOTICE it's turned off as the interface looks the same as when it's on!!)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 08:30:39 PM »
Hi CentralWare
... don't really NOTICE it's turned off as the interface looks the same as when it's on!!)
There is a subtle difference. When WYSIWYG is off, the editing field has a thick blue outline.
When WYSIWYG is turned on, it has a thin black outline.

Your profile allows you to set the default to on or off.
You can toggle it from the editor by clicking the "Toggle View" button. It's the last button on
the right with the mouse pointer between bold red square [] brackets.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 06:58:12 AM »
@Rich: Learn something new every day :)

I'm running Fox 104 and the thin-black, thick blue actually requires a refresh (I have it turned OFF and have a thin black border at all times.  If I hit TOGGLE it eventually catches up after skipping a beat, but I haven't played with all the buttons on the dashboard in my truck, let alone at TCL, to see what they all do ;) )