WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Latest Version of Chrome-Based Browser?  (Read 3033 times)

Offline tt222

Latest Version of Chrome-Based Browser?
« on: September 19, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
The TC app repository offers chromium-browser.tcz, which is based on the very outdated version 23.0.1271.64 from 2012.

Latest Firefox can be downloaded via the firefox-getLatest.tcz script.

Is there a similar script that allows you to download the latest version of Chrome / Chromium or similar?

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Latest Version of Chrome-Based Browser?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 01:35:11 AM »
I don't believe there's a chromium-browser update script, so you'd either have to make one or compile the source

Offline tt222

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 03:25:37 PM »
Is there a guide how to compile from source in tiny core linux?

If you want to build and contribute a chromium installation script, is there a reference guide or an example package as a reference?

Is the Firefox installation script working in 64bit tiny core linux?

Offline CNK

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:15:54 PM »
Is there a guide how to compile from source in tiny core linux?

The "installing" section of the extension creation guide describes the key points that are specific to Tiny Core.

Also take a look at notes/scripts left about the build process for existing extensions in the src section of the package repo. Here are the notes for building the current chromium-browser extension.

If you want to build and contribute a chromium installation script, is there a reference guide or an example package as a reference?

I haven't seen an official reference. The firefox_getLatest extension/script which I'm maintaining at the moment works alright, but the code of the script itself isn't the way I'd do things if I were writing it from scratch myself - it's very messy (but so long as it works, I'm only touching any bits that don't). The general behaviour is probably what you want to replicate though: generate extension (including .desktop file and icon), md5.txt, dep, and when updating versions place the new extension in the tce/optional/upgrade directory so that it's installed at the next reboot. It also has some helpful features like checking there's enough disk space to hold everything before starting and reporting if the extension isn't found in onboot.lst. It doesn't compile Firefox, just grabs the pre-compiled Linux binaries that Mozilla supply and makes them Tiny Core friendly.

There's also Rich's GetFoxitReader script for another example. It extracts a binary from a Deb package made for Debian Linux.

Finally, there was once a Chromium nightly downloader script. I checked that when I first saw this thread, but the URL that it uses to discover the latest version is dead, so it won't work as-is. The build.chromium.org site is still there though, so there might still be equivalent Linux builds available there.

Is the Firefox installation script working in 64bit tiny core linux?

Yes. Well I mean x86_64, not for any ARM platforms.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:23:52 PM by CNK »

Offline gadget42

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 12:25:36 AM »
visited:
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86_64/tcz/src/chromium-browser/compile_chromium-browser

the notes don't have a specific date

there is also a time reference [7h 41m 50s]
(but no idea what equipment produced that time)
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 01:07:44 AM »
The time to compile refers to a Dell latitude e7240

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 06:28:43 AM »
Hi gadget42
... the notes don't have a specific date ...
True, but the file has a timestamp:
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86_64/tcz/src/chromium-browser

Offline tt222

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 08:48:00 AM »
Considering the expected compilation time and that circumstance that Tiny Core Linux is desigened as a live system, I think it makes sense then to build a new Chromium installer script that installs the latest, pre-built version from the oficial repository.