WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Reading apps.  (Read 2779 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Reading apps.
« on: January 30, 2021, 02:47:53 PM »
Hello F, (members)

do you get interested in reading tools.....?

"3read" is a lovely free extension of CHromium based browsers.
1) Just install it. Go to some web page of interesting text, right click and select "3read"

--------------------------------------------------------------

There is also a brilliant reader in the free PLay store......."Comfort Reader."
For free.

1) You just install Comfort reader.  Then in the settings you can make the background all black.....and TEXT in the center of the screen..... and WHITE text

2)  You can then find some webpage of interesting text........LONG click and select SHARE to "comfort reader"............if that does not work, you can just SELECT all the required text and COPY PASTE it into "comfort reader" since it has a PASTE option in the menu

3) you choose your reading speed then....and LINE length etc........

it's a lovely way to read.....you can read   Large Large wiki topics and comprehend them  (Kursk submarine disaster here)

Here's WIKI text only version......no formatting   ( Copy and Paste)

http://wikipedia.thetimetube.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------

There is also another trick when using free apps like "VOICE-wiki"........with even just a BLIP of Wi fi internet connection.........you can open up Wiki topics and long click the screen and SAVE........

(this trick above allows you to gather masses and masses of future reading....even with just a BLIP of a free wi fi connection that passes your way........)

thx

c

Offline andyj

Re: Reading apps.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
Why stare at a screen if you don't have to? And, it never needs charging.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 02:13:36 AM »
I *love* that Andyj!

Funny thing is that a few years ago when I got into TC, I bought the DSL paperback book just to get a "feel" for the project, even though it had long progressed into Tinycore.  Love it.  Wiki's are ok, but I'd buy a TinyCore book - even if only a custom Amazon limited production run - in a heartbeat.

Then again, I still re-read and enjoy "The Unix Programming Environment" from Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike from 1983 occasionally when playing around with TC and others.  At least the first half for non programmers.

It's weird - something about a book brings ideas and concepts home to me faster than on-screen reading.  Must be a generational thing...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:15:38 AM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 06:49:39 AM »
Andy,

yes,  trying to remember  ....uhhh......FORTRAN.....the business programming language right?

it is  mind boggling how vast the computing discipline is.....utterly mind boggling.

I have friends that are within e-commerce company's .......specialized in "Paradox" programming language.....(FrancE)......Roz etc

in my history, the places where i was at used those "series" of books by "O’Reilly" computer books......there are "oceans" of these computer books in the series.....
(pretty expensive.)

What's the best computer book passed my way?......hmmm
There's been a lot. 

There are some real "good value" publishers.
.......once, i had a general sort of "over-view book" that covered interim MsDOS principle-s of computing .....right through to Desktop publishing and a whole array of "really really useful" computing skills.  (it didn't miss anything)

..........that's a long story ......since all my possessions (& books) got LOST in a domicile move....

Yes,  where the places i have been often have SHOW and TELL sessions.....you learn vasts amounts straight from the horses mouths........"invaluable in a real working environment)

As regards Forums,  there is help from users finding "related topics"  and advising other (perhaps other fledgling TC users) on where to draw the line......what's relevant and beneficial to topics.........Goals..........Etc  (solutions)

There is also a very good "online" reader called "Immersive Reader" free in the  Chrome store which has options for Black background, White text and
"single line reading"
You just install the free extension, go to some web page of interesting text(or even OFFLINE text) and right click & select....."help me read this"

thanks

ce

Offline andyj

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »
yes,  trying to remember  ....uhhh......FORTRAN.....the business programming language right?

Uh, no, that's COBOL:

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
Funny thing is that a few years ago when I got into TC, I bought the DSL paperback book just to get a "feel" for the project, even though it had long progressed into Tinycore.  Love it.  Wiki's are ok, but I'd buy a TinyCore book - even if only a custom Amazon limited production run - in a heartbeat.
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Besides the PDF, Into the Core is available as a dead tree edition, and you can order it via your local bookstore too, by the ISBN.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 12:25:49 AM »
Thanks Curaga - I forgot about that.  Worth repeating:

Brings back memories about bookstores and *nix...

I remember the 20 year ground-swell of books starting with a couple of dog-eared books about ATT SysV, Nutshell books, Coherent, BSD-Lite 4.4 shoved into a corner.

Yeah, right - like I'm going to buy books for my $30K graphical workstation at home! :)  Pure un-obtainium!

Years pass and that jammed up corner about *nix turned into 2 or 3 full-sized *aisles* of books.

Then it has dwindled back down today to about 5 or 6 books out of date - jammed into a corner again. :)

Offline NewUser

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 11:24:53 PM »

Besides the PDF, Into the Core is available as a dead tree edition, and you can order it via your local bookstore too, by the ISBN.
. I just ordered the tree-killer version myself. I hope TCL gets something out of it.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 12:02:46 AM »
It pays for the domain and server partially.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »
On the way here as well.  Found it on Amazon too.  Thanks to Lauri for writing it!

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
Hello F,  (poster)

oh hell yeah, sorry, my ruminating on COBOL......common business orientated Language

Fortran, is some other right.......around that era.......popular .

Although what is popular?.....with over 3200 global programming languages?

discuss

c

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 10:05:40 AM »
i know this was not replied to in forever

but still feel it's worth mentioning HANDHELDS and how to use
the "comfort reader" free app to great effect for reading.

1) install the free comfort reader app
2) in settings make it a SINGLE LINE OF TEXT and BLACK TEXT on WHITE background
3) choose your line LENGH for MIN and MAX and speed of REFRESH RATE.

i choose about 150 speed
MAX LINE  61
MIN LINE   42
FOCUS COLOUR = black
TEXT COLOR = black
BKGRND COLOR  = WHITE

standard TYPE FACE i think................font size 15 or so........

and finally, go into ANDROID ACCESSIBILTY FEATURES and choose
COLOR INVERSION which will hide away the bottom direction arrows
leaving you with a  completely black screen.......(White text in center)

For actually putting reading material into the reader.........open web pages or text files on your device and go SHARE TO COMFORT reader

if that share does not work.........simple COPY all the TEXT from any kind of wiki page or document of interest and PASTE IT into comfort reader.

Opening NOVELS and files is just epub or txt or such like.....

best wishes.

C

the thread shows you where the TEXT ONLY Wikipedia version is.....web link.

this reader is also excellent if you beam your handheld screen over to a large LAPTOP screen.......

......but CR is also just fine on  handhelds........use READING GLASSES with your handheld

There is also an attachment for BASEBALL CAPS so your HANDHELD hangs down stiff at the front......for reading and movies.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:10:31 AM by vinceASPECT »