WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox installation say no space left but hd is empty  (Read 1579 times)

Offline naxil1981

Firefox installation say no space left but hd is empty
« on: August 29, 2022, 03:23:08 AM »
hello... iam noob on tinycore but i like it... after some problem now i have a frugal install on my eeepc. ok is a old pc with 1gb ram and 150gb of internal hd...
df -h say avaible 145gb but the sh or manual tar extraction say (no space left)....
why? please explain to me step by step iam noob and not native english

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Firefox installation say no space left but hd is empty
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 03:30:50 AM »
It sounds like you are trying to extract the tar.gz file in ram - extract it on permanent storage instead.

Offline naxil1981

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 04:24:25 AM »
how to bros? probably iam doing some mistake on my frugal install... i want load tinycore like "normal" distro... how to setup it for use sda1 and not ram?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »
If you are using the firefox_getLatest extension, it looks like it downloads and unpacks the firefox tar.gz under /tmp, i.e. in ram.

That being said, I would have thought that 1gb ram would be enough.

You could try hacking the firefox_getLatest.sh script so that it uses /mnt/sda1/tmp or similar..

Offline nick65go

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 02:58:30 PM »
With such low RAM (1 GB) then LATEST firefox (104.0 or 106a1, etc) is near useless for you (IMHO).

I have a functional Dell Mini 10 (1 GB RAM, 16 GB HDD, CPU Atom N20, from year 2008) and with Firefox 85 is slow/annoying to watch movies from you-tube etc. [become stupid google codification/de-compression is too demanding for my CPU; google save time/money/energy in speed transfer but cost your CPU/GPU to uncompress the movie].

BTW, for testing:
1. just grab the firefox dependecies (tce-load -iw gtk3.tcz ffmepg4,tcz pavcontrol.tcz) from TC servers / mirrors;
2. then MANUALLY download any firefox virgin from Mozilla site. So we talk about 70-120 MB download gz, which will extract in 170-240 MB.
3. Then you can run it directly, the usr/bin/firefox.

Or else just grab the firefox ESR edition (ready made for you) from tc servers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:02:13 PM by nick65go »

Offline CNK

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 04:54:30 PM »
If you are using the firefox_getLatest extension, it looks like it downloads and unpacks the firefox tar.gz under /tmp, i.e. in ram.

That being said, I would have thought that 1gb ram would be enough.

You could try hacking the firefox_getLatest.sh script so that it uses /mnt/sda1/tmp or similar..

Yep, 1GB should be plenty. "/tmp" is hardcoded in lots of places in the script, so maybe it would be easier to symlink /tmp to /mnt/sda1/tmp or similar instead if determined to test that. But unless the OP is confused about how much RAM they have, I don't see it as a likely problem in the first place.

@naxil1981: If you post the actual error message as shown on the screen, that may help narrow things down.

Offline naxil1981

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 10:14:11 AM »
but is possible leave free all ram and use dev/sda for tinycore? i dont want use ram like hard disk for my installation. i want boot tinycore like "normal" distro

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »
Hi naxil1981
... i want boot tinycore like "normal" distro
Then you will have to switch to a  "normal"  distro. Tinycore is designed to have a RAM filesystem
which it populates every time it boots. The only directories that can optionally reside on your hard
drive are  /home  and  /opt.

Extensions are stored on your hard drive. When you load them, they get mounted under  /tmp  and
symlinked  into  /usr  as shown here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/architecture.html
The  mount points  and  symlinks  use very little RAM.