WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SeaTools Bootable  (Read 2597 times)

Offline DexSK

SeaTools Bootable
« on: August 18, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »
Hello everyone, I've recently downloaded the SeaTools Bootable image, which is based on Tiny Core, which can be found here: https://www.seagate.com/files/old-support-files/seatools/USBbootSetup-SeaToolsBootable.zip
However, I ran into a problem booting it, instead of the GUI starting, I've landed on the command line, and that was that. I admit I'm very basic on linux knowledge, doing advanced things exclusively on the CLI is not exactly my strong suit. I've searched this forum for any info on that particular custom product, as well as their own resources, and after not finding anything I'm posting here.
What I suspect is that the software has an issue with my graphics card, the X server doesn't like nvidia very much. My question, could anyone please help me analyze and solve this issue? Maybe there's an extension for that already, and I'd need instructions on where to place it and how to set it up to load at boot, or whatever else would be needed.
My specs are as follows:
Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P, Intel Core i7-7700k and a GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card.
I've recently bought a set of 8TB Seagate HDDs and I'd like to have them thoroughly tested offline before I use them.
Thanks very much.

Offline gadget42

Re: SeaTools Bootable
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 11:43:23 AM »
grab the latest Core Plus and see what it does.
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline DexSK

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 11:51:44 AM »

Do I just overwrite the files? (the TCZs in the Optional folder) :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:57:28 AM by DexSK »

Offline DexSK

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 12:24:04 PM »

just came back from trying after overwriting the files under Optional, no change sadly.

Offline gadget42

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 01:44:04 AM »
have you tried just booting up Core Plus to see if it fails in the same way?
if it doesn't fail then that will give you a good starting point for troubleshooting.

also did some poking around seagate website:

used:
https://www.seagate.com/search/?keyword=seatools&pagetype=support

to find:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

and then the third selection down was labeled:
"SeaTools Bootable - Use this kit to create a bootable USB that uses SeaTools to diagnose hard drives and monitor SSDs."
(and then the hot-link was the same url that was referenced in the OP)

note: did not download anything...yet...

20220819-0414am-modified-added notes on seagate website navigation/search
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:14:27 AM by gadget42 »
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline gadget42

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 02:30:56 AM »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 03:07:34 AM »
Which version of Tinycore is seatools using (enter "version" and "uname -a" at the cli)?

Is seatools attempting to use Xvesa, Xfbdev or Xorg-7.7 for the gui (enter "cat /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst" at the cli)?

Offline DexSK

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 10:38:38 AM »
have you tried just booting up Core Plus to see if it fails in the same way?
if it doesn't fail then that will give you a good starting point for troubleshooting.

also did some poking around seagate website:

used:
https://www.seagate.com/search/?keyword=seatools&pagetype=support

to find:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

and then the third selection down was labeled:
"SeaTools Bootable - Use this kit to create a bootable USB that uses SeaTools to diagnose hard drives and monitor SSDs."
(and then the hot-link was the same url that was referenced in the OP)

note: did not download anything...yet...

20220819-0414am-modified-added notes on seagate website navigation/search

Hello, thanks for the reply, just tried a VM (using VMWare Workstation 16) with CorePlus-current.iso, BIOS mode went to boot screen, UEFI (as my physical machine) didn't work. The ISO doesn't have UEFI boot files, just BIOS mode, I'd like to avoid having to switch my physical machine to BIOS mode.

As for the USB bootable download for SeaTools, I'm using a multiboot USB with various live CDs (recovery stuff like Gandalf's Win10 PE), even a LinuxMint LiveCD, it's set up using rEFInd, so I put the USB SeaTools right beside the other recovery stuff. Not running it from an optical drive, don't have that on my system anymore.

Offline DexSK

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 11:00:36 AM »
Which version of Tinycore is seatools using (enter "version" and "uname -a" at the cli)?

Is seatools attempting to use Xvesa, Xfbdev or Xorg-7.7 for the gui (enter "cat /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst" at the cli)?

Version Core 10.0
uname -a 4.19.10-tinycore64 kernel version

the onboot.lst file is present but empty.

Offline DexSK

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »
Okay, now I have a new situation, following the questions from Juanito I downloaded a fresh USB installer of Seatools Bootable, apparently they've updated it in the meantime, this version apparently does have nvidia drivers, did see the GTX 1060 text blink up during the boot process, but still landed on the command line. After trying startx in the cli I get a "failed in waitforX" response. Amazingly when I boot up from the USB inside a VM (64bit UEFI LinuxMint is installed), I get the SeaTools GUI, not the command line.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 11:28:33 PM »
There are nvidia drivers in CorePure64 10.x (nvidia-390.116-KERNEL), so you might be in luck.

You can see which extensions are loaded with "tce-status -i".

You can check out the "failed in waitforX" error with "Xorg -nolisten tcp" and by looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Offline DexSK

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 01:34:41 AM »
An internal server error on this forum prevents me to post the xorg log either inline or as attachment.

There are nvidia drivers in CorePure64 10.x (nvidia-390.116-KERNEL), so you might be in luck.

You can see which extensions are loaded with "tce-status -i".

You can check out the "failed in waitforX" error with "Xorg -nolisten tcp" and by looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Offline DexSK

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 01:36:30 AM »
Xorg logfile attached, the -nolisten tcp switch didn't help with it either, what I've seen inside is "No screens found" but I'm unable to solve it, various forums suggest various fixes, not an universal one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 01:38:20 AM by DexSK »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 01:19:07 AM »
The log file shows this:
Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 0 (driver not present)
Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 1 (driver not present)
Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2 (graphics-KERNEL not present)
Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3 (driver not present)
Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4 (address out of range)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 01:23:57 AM »
..so you can try (from the console prompt)

* loading the graphics-KERNEL extension then startx to try the modesetting driver.
* loading the xf86-video-nv extension then startx to try the nv driver.
* loading the xf86-video-nouveau extension then startx to try the nouveau driver.

After each attempt it would be useful to examine Xorg.0.log