WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: PiCore 13 RPi.GPIO Version  (Read 843 times)

Offline johannes_pl

PiCore 13 RPi.GPIO Version
« on: July 12, 2022, 05:10:51 AM »
Hello,

I migrated my PiCore project from PiCore 7 to PiCore 13 to make it compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4 B.

Unfortunately, now I have an issue with the RPi.GPIO library. The installed version is RPi.GPIO 0.6.3 which doesn't work with the new Raspberry Model.
I couldn't find the latest version (0.7.1) in the tcz package registry. There is only version 0.6.3.
The changelog of the RPi.GPIO package indicates the Raspberry Pi 4 is supported from 0.7.0 and upwards.

I couldn't download the package and install it myself as there is an issue with the already installed RPi.GPIO version 0.6.3 and pip can't uninstall the old version.

When I enter the python console and try to import the module myself, I get an error that the library only works on a Raspberry Pi.

Code: [Select]
Python 3.6.14 (default, Aug  3 2021, 09:59:45)
[GCC 10.1.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/tmp/tcloop/python-virtualenv/app/libs/python-virtualenv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/RPi/GPIO/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
    from RPi._GPIO import *
RuntimeError: This module can only be run on a Raspberry Pi!

Would it be possible for you to add a newer version of RPi.GPIO (at least 0.7.0) to the tcz registry? I'm currently using the armv7 PiCore version.
Or is there a workaround for this issue to make it work on the Raspberry Pi 4?

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Johannes

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Re: PiCore 13 RPi.GPIO Version
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
The right thing to do is to send the package maintainer a note.  Which is bmarkus.

You can use pip to install the new copy, just do not load the old extension.