WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Suggestions for Version 14  (Read 2906 times)

Offline jim

Suggestions for Version 14
« on: May 29, 2022, 08:59:48 PM »
Hi,

I have been thinking Tinycore both x86 & x86_64 would benefit from selecting waitusb when the menu times out.
Patch attached.

My main laptop's (HP 14-dk0002dx) trackpad requires i2c-hid-acpi and its' dependent module i2c-hid which should fit nicely into i2c-KERNEL.tcz

It would be nice to have the overlayfs in the filesystems-KERNEL.tcz it would make "making extensions" easier in some cases, also it is cool to play with...

One other weirdness I have had two laptops a Nextbook 10 & GPD Pocket 2 apparently built off Intel's cellphone chipsets for x86_64 where the screen defaults to sideways (portrait mode)...

I can rotate them with xrandr but have not figured out how to get the change to stick, also the toolbar ends up off the bottom of the screen.
And while /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate exists it did not seem to change the text console rotation when I tried it.
It appears CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set

So in summary I am hoping you will consider adding to the kernel .config for the next version:
CONFIG_I2C_HID_ACPI=m
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION=y
and change line 7 of the isolinux.cfg to
ONTIMEOUT tcw

Thank you for your consideration,
Jim

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions for Version 14
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:16:29 PM »
Hi jim
... I can rotate them with xrandr but have not figured out how to get the change to stick, ...
Create a file (any name you want) in  /home/tc/.X.d  containing:
Code: [Select]
xrandr YourParameters &The command in that file will automatically be executed after X starts.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 10:40:52 PM »
Noted. The other changes are ok, except slowing down everyone's default boot when folks may not be using an usb stick with the cd.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jim

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 10:03:40 PM »
It should not slow down anyone but those letting the timeout run to completion.
e.g. if nothing happens for the full 60 second timeout then it would start with tcw not tc.
if you press return it will like now still use tc
I sometimes get distracted, and let it run through the timeout, and currently it does not mount the usb storage with the tce directory.

The difference between 60 and 65 seconds + the actual boot time, is <8% variance and likely <4% on many of my computers.
My thought was that if it has already sat for 60 seconds the extra 5 is hardly noticeable.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 05:19:44 AM »
Hi curaga
... I sometimes get distracted, and let it run through the timeout, and currently it does not mount the usb storage with the tce directory. ...
I think jim makes a good point.

Whether it's because someone walked away, got distracted, or an indecisive newbie staring at the screen, the
timeout default is us making the decision for them. In that situation, I feel selecting  tcw  is a good idea
because it is the safe choice regardless of the boot media being used.

Offline CNK

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 05:42:01 PM »
It would be nice to have the overlayfs in the filesystems-KERNEL.tcz it would make "making extensions" easier in some cases, also it is cool to play with...
So in summary I am hoping you will consider adding to the kernel .config for the next version:
CONFIG_I2C_HID_ACPI=m
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m

I noticed this thread at the time and have finally started getting around to investigating OverlayFS and whether it could be used for faster loading of extension files (particularly custom squashfs extensions including all dependencies) to /usr/local instead of symlinking.

First problem: It seems this suggestion was only half-implemented. config-6.1.2-tinycore64 shows that the kernel was built with "CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m", but filesystems-6.1.2-tinycore64.tcz.list doesn't show any overlay.ko module. So I don't see any way to actually use OverlayFS because it's built as a kernel module, and that module wasn't published.

Actually it seems OverlayFS was already enabled in PiCore 13.1, and included in its filesystems-5.10.77-piCore.tcz.list, so I could do my experiments there.

But I notice that the PiCore 14 filesystems-6.1.25-piCore.tcz.list is missing fs/overlayfs/overlay.ko, although it should still be in modules-6.1.25-piCore.tar.xz.

I don't plan to upgrade to PiCore 14 any time soon, so if that was a deliberate decision for PiCore then it doesn't really matter to me. But obviously the overlay.ko module for x86 and x86_64 should be available somewhere, otherwise this change was pointless.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 05:46:38 PM by CNK »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 11:25:18 PM »
The module is in the base.

Offline CNK

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 11:37:31 PM »
The module is in the base.

Oh right, thanks. Somehow I never thought to check if it was there already. That makes it easy then.

Offline oeai

• 0 be 1 can 0 be if_0_then_1_else_0
    • Symbiants
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 05:04:31 AM »
 CONFIG_NLS_UTF8 ?
i think it's not that hard to enable this in kernel for some another special version !tiny !micro but
some Xorg-International-core since it works better with keyboard switching.
it's just a mess to rebuild the core and those console progs with utf8 support disabled,
symbiants from space

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8 has been enabled for as long as I remember?