WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Help about Xorg  (Read 1631 times)

Offline core.dump

Help about Xorg
« on: April 12, 2022, 05:30:13 AM »
Hi all,
I want to create a portable USB installation of TC (I'm currently using CorePure64). Since it will run on many different machines, my problem is I'd like to have it capable of automatically adapting to various screen resolutions, without installing a hardware-specific driver (such as the nouveau drivers or other).
How can I do that? And, if it can't be done, is it possible, at least, to force the default driver to support resolutions higher than 1024x768, and what must I do in order to get it work?

Thank you all  :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Help about Xorg
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:55:25 AM »
What you're asking for is not possible. The generic vesa driver only supports what your gpu and display support. It can't be forced to other resolutions.

On EFI machines, Xfbdev usually uses the native resolution. Otherwise the usual solution is Xorg and to install all the drivers.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline chattrhand

Re: Help about Xorg
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »
Hi TinyCore Team,

actually I'm booting a DELL Latitude 7470 from USB-Stick with tce 13.1-64 and trying different desktop variants with screen resolutions.

With flwm, flwm_topside, jwm and with vga= 789, 792 and 795 I have useable settings for my screen resolution
With icewm however with these values it runs to ' failed in waitforX '

I set vga=796 (invalid) and then press [space] or wait 30 sec I get a resolution of 2560x1440. Too small for my eyes.
I set vga=796 (invalid) and press [Enter] and see a list of video modes from 0-9 and a-r but they all end up in 'failed in waitforX'
I set vga=796 (invalid) and enter "scan" and again get  a resolution of 2560x1440. This time a hangup requires the power button.

My onboot.lst actually has 33 entries, the last two are icewm.tcz and icewm-themes.tcz

What can I do to get an acceptable screen resolution also with icewm?

TinyCore, SliTaz, LinuxMint, Tails, Mac ...