WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox install not working, Chromium worked but is waaay out of date, no update  (Read 3148 times)

Offline lintode

I was able to use the App installer to add LibreOffice and Chromium in CorePlus installed on my hard drive. There is no other disk mounted. They installed and immediately appeared on the desktop and are present after reboots. However, Chromium is useless because it is an outdated version and there is no obvious update path.
Please let me know is there a version of Chromium that is up to date?

The app installer has an option to install FireFox: "firefox_getLatest.tcz"
I ran this and it "installed" successfully. But FireFox did NOT appear on the desktop and is not accessible.
There is a statement at the end of the installation:
"If you want firefox to load on each reboot, remember to add firefox.tcz to your onboot.lst
Please reboot to complete install"

Well, of course I want it to load. And of course, I rebooted. LibreOffice and Chromium apps did not ask for this step and were instantly available. But OK I will do it.
Except: there is no firefox.tcz anywhere on my hard drive. So there is no way to put it in the onboot.lst.
Please explain, where is firefox, and how do I get it to start at boot and show up in the apps list?
And why is "firefox_getLatest.tcz" showing up in my app launcher?

Screenshots attached. First screen refers to an existing install. That's because I tried more than once. Your system is saying that there is an install, but it's not showing up in any search.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:20:53 AM by lintode »

Offline gadget42

The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi lintode
Using the Apps utility:
click  Apps->Maintenance->OnBoot Maintenance.
In the left column, left click the  firefox.tcz  entry to highlight it.
click the  Add Item  button.
In the right column, left click the  firefox_getLatest.tcz  entry to highlight it.
click the  Delete Item from list  button.

Next time you boot, the  firefox  icon should be there and the  firefox_getLatest  icon should be gone.

You might also want to take an hour to get a better understanding of how Tinycore works by reading this fine book:
http://tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf

Offline lintode

gadget42: referring to the link, I already did that step.

Rich: I have confirmation from the installer that firefox was installed.
See screenshot for Onboot maintenance.
firefox.tcz is not found, consistent with the find command null result I mentioned previously. 
If I run the install again, I will just get another message stating that it's installed.
I will be happy to read the book, can we figure this out first...
Again to confirm, the installer tells me it's already installed.
Thanks,
Lintode

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi lintode
See where it says  Creating extension  in the screenshot? The next line says  Killed  which means the process
did not complete. My guess is you ran out of RAM.

If it did create anything, it's not usable. See if this command locates the files:
Code: [Select]
find /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ | grep -i firef

Offline lintode

Rats.
I was counting on the existing 500MB to be enough. If I were to install CorePlus on another system (I have one D802 with 1GB RAM), and install firefox successfully on the other system, could I copy the tcz, given that the other parts of the installation seem to have worked?
Thanks,
Lintode

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi lintode
Yes, you can run it on another machine and copy the  .tcz  and  .tcz.dep  files.

Offline lintode

I think I have done at least 50 reinstalls over the last three days. This is not worth the time. I now have tried clean 64 bit installs and there are just more and new types of errors at every turn. Now it says, install manually, and the manual install fails. I am moving on to another distro. Goodbye, tiny core. I give up. Even finding a copy of the firefox tcz online would have helped, but none.

Offline CNK

There's firefox-ESR.tcz which is "a copy of the firefox tcz online", just not kept up with the latest version and bug/security fixes.

But honestly running Firefox on a system with 500MB RAM will have serious limits. Both Firefox and Chromium really need more RAM than that these days, installation issues aside. Look at browsers like NetSurf, Links, and Dillo for browsing simple websites on such a PC.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
There's firefox-ESR.tcz which is "a copy of the firefox tcz online", just not kept up with the latest version and bug/security fixes.

The main reason for the firefox-ESR extension is to use alsa sound rather than pulseaudio.

In addition, firefox-ESR is compiled on tinycore rather than being a pre-compiled binary.

Offline gadget42

The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline CNK

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,1947.0.html

Yeah sure Tiny Core will run in much less than 500MB RAM very easily, but Firefox is another matter. In my experience it's not very usable on such a RAM-limited PC except with websites that are simple enough that they could be viewed in browsers like Dillo anyway. It used to be, but no longer.